As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I am a lazy cook after a long day at work. I really just want easy to put together dinners. With the help of a Bob Evans mashed potatoes, this cheesy shepherd’s pie came together quickly and easily for a filling mashed potato ground beef casserole. Everyone had two helpings and ate all their mixed vegetables.
Cheesy Shepherd’s Pie is a ground beef casserole filled with mixed vegetables, cheese, cream of mushroom soup, and topped off with mashed potatoes. This casserole was easy to put together and so full of flavor.
Cheesy Shepherd Pie Ingredients
The ingredients for this mashed potato ground beef casserole can be somewhat improvised but you need the basics of ground meat, vegetables, creamy soup, cheese, and mashed potatoes. Here is what I use for this version of the recipe.
- Ground Beef – An 80/20 ground beef will work just fine.
- Onions and Garlic – Chopped and minced.
- Vegetable Beef and Barley Soup or Onion Soup Mixture – This is for rich flavors, I like it both ways. The onion soup mix is easier.
- Frozen Classic Mixed Vegetables – Canned vegetables would work just fine. Just like green beans. Just corn. Use what you like.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup –
- Velveeta – Don’t judge, you can use whatever cheese you like
- Mashed Potatoes – The premade Bob Evan’s mashed potatoes
How to Make Mashed Potato Ground Beef Casserole
To make this ground beef casserole, start by browning the hamburger. If you are a ground pork, turkey, or chicken household, that will work just fine too. When the hamburger is almost completely browned, add the diced onion and garlic to the pan. Then let it cook until beef is done. Drain the grease off the beef, and pour into a 13×9 pan or casserole dish.
Then spread either the can of beef and vegetable soup or onion soup mix over the beef. Top with the frozen vegetables. Next, mix the can of mushroom soup with a half cup of milk. Stir to combine and pour over the vegetables.
Slice to lay over the top of the cream of mushroom soup. You can also buy Velveeta slices. They do not have to be pretty. They will melt just fine. Then put mashed potatoes over top. Leftover mashed potatoes will work, or fresh made ones. I used a container of the . Use an ice cream scoop to place the potatoes over the cheese.
Finally spread the potatoes out, sealing the casserole so to speak.
This ground beef casserole is easy to make, but to ensure perfection each time, here are a few things to remember.
- There will be some liquid in the bottom of the pan. If you want the casserole to be less liquidy, cook the frozen vegetables before baking the casserole. The frozen vegetables add liquid to the casserole.
- Don’t like cream of mushroom soup, feel free to use cream of celery, cream of potato, or even cream of chicken soup.
- Vegetables can be whatever you like. Don’t like carrots, just use peas. Mushrooms would be a great addition to the casserole as well.
- Don’t use mashed potatoes that are too soupy. Try to use stiff potatoes. This will help with the above liquid problem.
Cheesy Shepherd's Pie
- 2 pounds ground beef
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 cups frozen classic vegetables
- 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 9 slices Velveeta cheese
- 2½ cups mashed potatoes
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet with Worcestershire sauce. When the beef is almost brown, add the onions and garlic. Finish cooking the ground beef and then drain grease and pour into a 13X9 baking dish or deep casserole dish.
- Top the ground beef the onion soup mix. Then pour the frozen vegetables over the top of the ground beef.
- Mix the cream of mushroom soup and milk together. Pour over the vegetables.
- Top the casserole off with the mashed potatoes. They do not need to be hot if you are using leftover or refrigerator potatoes like Bob Evan's mashed potatoes. Spread completely over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly on 350°.