Crock Pot taco stuffed pepper soup was one of those easy hamburger recipes I made before leaving the house one morning by throwing rice, tomatoes, onions and peppers with some taco seasoning in the crock pot. The issue with lots of work travel means the family will eat a lot of meals out when I am gone or many frozen pizzas. Before a recent work trip, I put the ingredients for a new version of taco soup in the crock pot before leaving. Then I instructed the family to take some pictures and let me know how it tasted. Crock pot taco stuffed pepper soup turned out to be a huge hit.
This crock pot taco hamburger and rice soup is a taco-seasoned stuffed pepper soup with a tomato base, rice, bell peppers, onions, and ground beef and slow cooked to a delicious, hearty soup. If my kids and husband loved it, this is sure to be a favorite of your family too.
Taco Hamburger and Rice Soup Ingredients
Just as the recipe name states, the base of this soup is ground beef and rice. But to make the flavors form a richness, these ingredients make this taco soup recipe a keeper.
- Ground Beef - Hamburger is my preference for stuffed peppers, as well as my preference in this stuffed pepper soup recipe. However, ground turkey and ground pork can be substituted.
- Long-Grain Rice - Since this is a crock pot recipe, don't use minute rice for this recipe. Instead used the bag of long-grain white rice or long-grain brown rice.
- Onions - Sweet onions are normally what I have on hand. Yellow or white onions will work just fine in this stuffed pepper soup as well.
- Garlic - Minced fresh garlic is what I always use. The jarred minced garlic can also work just fine.
- Bell Peppers - Whatever color of bell peppers you would use for stuffed peppers, use for this deconstructed stuffed pepper soup. Green is always the lowest price in my grocery stores.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes - Regular diced or petite diced work for this. If you want to use fresh tomatoes, you can as well. You just need two cups worth plus all the juices.
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes - My love for Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes is seen in a lot of the recipes I make. It adds a hint of smokey or roasted flavors you can't get from crock pot recipes most of the time.
- Tomato Paste - Paste helps deepen the tomato flavor. You don't have paste? Just use tomato sauce, but add a little less water.
- Beef Broth - Broth or water plus Beef Better than Bouillon work here. The beef stock adds more flavor than just plain water.
- Taco Seasoning - Your normal taco seasoning. If you don't want this to be taco flavored, this can be substituted out for just salt and pepper.
While this recipe could be made entirely in the crock pot, I start it on the stove and then let it slow cook all day.
How to Make Crock Pot Taco Stuffed Pepper Soup Recipe
To make this soup, start the two cans of tomatoes and rice in the crock pot while you simultaneously start browning the ground beef on the stove.
Stir the rice to combine and let continue to heat up over the low setting on the crock pot. When the beef is browned, add rough chopped onions and peppers to the beef. Cook for a moment and stir in the beef base and minced garlic.
Continue to cook the beef for another minute, stirring to combine and coat the beef and vegetables in the beef base. Then stir in the tomato paste and taco seasoning. When the tomato paste and taco seasoning have coated the ground beef and peppers, add two cups of water to help pick up all the flavor bits and pieces stuck to the pan.
Pour the ground beef mixture into the crock pot to mix with the tomato and rice combination. Add an additional two cups of water to the crock pot. Stir to completely combine and let cook on low for 6-8 hours.
When ready to eat, shredded cheese or even sour cream would be a great garnish. Serving this straight up with no garnish is also tasty. Keep this taco soup easy for you.
Easy Ground Beef Recipes
Our Best Burgers and Burger-Themed Recipes
Air Fryer Mini Beef Tacos in the Ninja Foodi
Crock Pot Taco Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 14.5 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup long-grained rice
- 1 large bell pepper rough chopped
- 1 large onion rough chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons beef base Better than Bouillon
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 4 cups water
- Brown the ground beef on the stove in a saucepan or large skillet.
- Pour the two cans of tomatoes and rice into the crock pot set on low heat.
- When the hamburger is browned, add rough chopped peppers and onions to the pan. Stir to combine and cook for one minute. Stir in the beef base and minced garlic.
- To the beef, add the can of tomato paste and taco seasoning. Stir to coat and then pour in two cups of water. Scrape the pan and then transfer into the crock pot.
- Stir the meat mixture and rice mixture together. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Shared on Weekend Potluck and Meal Plan Monday
- Old Fashioned Strawberry Tapioca Salad - Pink Fluff - March 5, 2023
- Arroz Con Carne Molida Recipe - Mexican Rice with Ground Beef Skillet - February 27, 2023
- Baked Tortellini with Meat Sauce - February 19, 2023
If you wanted to make this low carb could you substitute the rice with cauliflower rice and just add it at the end instead?