This post is sponsored by the Glass Barn (glassbarn.org) Indiana Soybean and Corn Farmers but all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Homemade sausage gravy is a simple white gravy with breakfast sausage recipe perfect for easy biscuits and gravy breakfast made regularly for breakfast since it is so easy to make. This gravy comes together quickly and whether you make your biscuits from scratch or use a can of refrigerator biscuits, this hearty country breakfast can literally come together in under 20 minutes.
If you are making this sausage gravy for biscuits and gravy, I highly recommend Stacey from a Southern Bite’s easy buttermilk biscuits. But, if you are not wanting to take the time to make homemade biscuits, the fridge biscuits from a can work just fine too.
To make a white gravy with sausage, you need four basic ingredients.
- Breakfast Sausage
If you are using ground pork instead of breakfast sausage, then you will also need to use breakfast sausage seasoning.
How to Make Homemade Sausage Gravy
To make this sausage gravy, start by browning the sausage or ground pork. If you are using ground pork, be sure to add the seasoning while you are cooking the pork.
When the sausage is fully cooked, do not drain the grease off of the sausage. Instead, add the butter to the sausage to start making the roux for the white gravy. Stir the butter into the sausage until melted completely.
Stir in the flour and completely coat the sausage and let cook for one minute before adding the milk. Slowly add milk, half a cup at a time. Stir continuously until all the milk is added to the pan. Continue cooking over medium heat until the gravy is thick. This is normally a minute after it starts to bubble.
If you like a peppery sausage gravy, hit the gravy with pepper after the gravy is thick. While you are making the gravy, bake your biscuits. Then you will have piping hot biscuits ready almost at the same time as the gravy. Spoon the gravy over the top of the biscuits.
Homemade Sausage Gravy
- 1 pound breakfast sausage or ground pork Use breakfast sausage seasoning if using ground pork.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- Begin by browning breakfast sausage in a saucepan. If using ground pork add a tablespoon of breakfast sausage seasoning to the ground pork.
- When completely cooked, leave grease in the pan with the sausage and add two tablespoons of butter. Stir the butter into the sausage until completely melted.
- Add the flour to the butter and sausage, stirring to completely coat the sausage. Cook for one minute. Then start adding milk, 1/2 cup at a time. Stirring until the gravy becomes thick. Usually, about a minute after the gravy begins to bubble.
- Serve over biscuits.
- English Muffin Egg Cups – Individual Breakfast Casseroles - September 27, 2020
- English Muffin Garlic Toast – Easy Homemade Garlic Bread - September 23, 2020
- Instant Pot Jambalaya - September 19, 2020