As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
It is not a secret, I love breakfast food for any meal of the day. I don’t want to cheat breakfast food out being eaten and most days I eat Fiber One bars for breakfast. I didn’t feel a Hunk of Meat Monday could pass without doing one of my favorite egg casseroles, scrambled egg casserole.
Scrambled Egg Casserole
This is one I got from my mom. We have it whenever we are at my parent’s house overnight. The first time I read the recipe, I thought it was a bit strange, but I just did what my mom told me too. I am giving you the full recipe but just cut in half for a smaller group of people.
Eggs are the base obviously. If you are making it for four people, start with a dozen eggs. Scramble them up in a bowl, add a splash of water or milk, salt, and pepper to taste. Set aside. Must make cheese sauce first.
To make the cheese sauce, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, blend in 2 ½ tablespoons of flour and cook for one minute. Gradually stir in two cups of milk; cook until thick. Add ½ teaspoon of salt, a pinch of pepper, and 1 cup of Velveeta cheese shredded; stir until cheese melts. Set aside.
Sauté 2 cups of ham and 4 ounces of fresh mushrooms* in three tablespoons of butter. Add scrambled eggs and cook over medium heat until eggs are set. *If you are using canned mushrooms add after you cook eggs.
Stir in the cheese sauce into the eggs.
Combine completely. Pour into a 13 X 9 greased pan.
Yes, mine is 8 X 8. I made a half recipe!
Combine ¼ cup melted butter and 2 ¼ cups soft bread crumbs.
Sprinkle over top of the egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight or during the day.
Uncover and bake for 30 minutes on 350 degrees.
It’s kid tested** and mother approved:)
**Notice the pile of mushrooms on the blue lid to the left of her plate;)
Scrambled Egg Casserole
This simple scrambled egg casserole is a creamy, cheesy egg casserole for a change from a traditional bread or potato breakfast casserole recipe.Print Rate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Velveeta shredded or grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups of cubed ham
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 dozen eggs beaten
- 4 ounces of sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups of breadcrumbs
- Melt the butter and blend the flour into it to make a roux.
- Gradually stir in milk, cook until thick. Add salt, pepper, and cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Sautee ham and mushrooms in butter for several minutes.
- Add eggs and cook over medium heat until eggs are almost completely cooked.
- Stir in the cheese sauce into the eggs.
- Transfer to a 13X9 baking dish.
- Combine topping ingredients and cover the egg mixture.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Bake uncovered at 250 degrees for 30 minutes.