All this talk of freezing corn on my facebook feed is making me wish we had a sweet corn patch this year. Then my cousin even talked about freezing corn with our grandmother's recipe yesterday. And nothing triggers a memory of grandma like the sweet nectar of sweet corn. So, I thought I would share with all of you how to freeze sweet corn. The right way;)
How to Freeze Sweet Corn
At this point, my grandma would blanch the corn. However, my mom discovered a cooler way that successfully preserves the corn as well. Once it is cut, put into freezer quart bags. Try to measure how much you are putting in. I usually do small bags of 2 cups (equivalent to a can of corn) or 3 cups.
The key is in the brine. A brine is one of my favorite things. I use meat brines all the time.The brine for freezer corn is a 1 cup water to 2 teaspoons of sugar to 1 teaspoon of salt. The corn to brine solution should be 2 cups of corn to ⅓-1/2 cup of brine. So, if you have around 10 cups of corn or five bags of sweet corn I would make a brine with 3 cups of water, 6 teaspoons of sugars, and 3 teaspoons of salt. To make the brine, heat the water, sugar, and salt until all sugar and salt are dissolved.
Depending on the amount of corn in each bag do a 4 corn to 1 brine ration. Like I said before I would do ⅓-1/2 cup of brine to two cups of corn. Add the brine to freezer bags. Seal. Freeze. Enjoy all winter long. And now you know have frozen sweet corn without blanching the corn.
Freezing sweet corn without cooking it is always more fun with friends. I loved being able to host corn freezing parties when we still grew over an acre of sweet corn.
Fresh Sweet Corn Recipes
How to freeze sweet corn
- 10 cups sweet corn cut off the cob
- 3 cups water
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Place two cups of corn in quart-sized freezer bags.
- Heat water and add salt and sugar. When salt and sugar are dissolved, remove from the heat.
- Pour ½ cup of brine in each bag of corn.
- Place in freezer immediately.
Shared on Weekend Potluck
Affiliate links were used in this post.
- Sheet Pan Smoked Sausage, Potatoes, and Broccoli Recipe - January 1, 2022
- Peanut Butter Pie Recipe - No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie - December 26, 2021
- Sugar Cookie Fudge - Christmas Cookie Fudge - December 19, 2021