As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love Philly Cheesesteaks. Love them. My husband loves them. So, when I had some peppers to use up, I decided to see if I could get a thumbs up on the chicken Philly sandwich version of the the beloved beef cheesesteaks.
The assembly of this recipe is fairly simple. Butter, peppers, onions, garlic, chicken, steak seasoning. Oh and the crock pot.
Now, I used bone in chicken thighs with skin. The butter was a little overkill. If I use skin on thighs again, I will cut the amount of butter. If I use chicken tenders or breasts, I know I will need the butter. Regardless, watch the moisture levels in the crock pot. A little water was added to the crock pot about halfway through cooking.
The chicken will be fork tender to break apart and mix together with the onions and peppers. Bone-in chicken is also no problem. The chicken will fall right off the bone. Place on your buns of choice and top with provolone cheese.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion sliced or 2 medium onions
- 2 large bell peppers sliced
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 pounds of chicken*
- 2 tablespoons of steak seasoning divided
- 8 hoagie or sandwich buns
- 8 Provolone cheese slices
- Place pats of butter on the bottom of crock pot.
- Layer, peppers, onions, garlic, 1 tablespoon of steak seasoning, chicken, and remaining steak seasoning.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Add water halfway through if it appears to be dry.
- Use a fork to break apart chicken and mix together with onions and peppers.
- Serve on buns and top with cheese. Place under broiler to melt cheese, if desired.
*If you use skin on dark meat, cut the amount of butter by at least half.
- Apricot Bourbon-Glazed Ham on the Grill or Oven-Baked - April 5, 2020
- Sheet Pan Pork Chops, Sweet Potatoes and Red Potatoes - April 4, 2020
- Air Fryer Pizza Bites on Naan Bread - March 25, 2020