I love asparagus. Last Easter when my mom made this sauteed asparagus with bacon and onions recipe I pretty much didn’t want to share the asparagus with anyone else. It is my new go-to asparagus recipe.
Easy Sauteed Asparagus Ingredients
I think the simplest recipes are the best. I keep things like five pounds of bacon, red onions, and lemons on hand at all times. Then when I find things like pancetta at Aldi’s I sort of lose my mind and buy five pounds of it too. Hence the reason I used pancetta in this recipe too. Bacon or pancetta, both are great for this asparagus recipe.
How to Make Sauteed Asparagus with Bacon and Onions
Start by rough chopping the asparagus and onions. I always cut the bacon with scissors into 1/2 inch pieces before frying too. If you use pancetta, dice it into chunks. Then start by frying the bacon. I find it easier to use cut bacon instead of strip bacon to make this vegetable side dish.
Once the bacon is crisp, add the onions without removing any bacon grease. When the onions begin to get soft, add the asparagus. Stir to continue to saute. If the fat dries up, add more with a little olive oil. Add the juice from one lemon and cook till asparagus is softened.
Season the asparagus with fresh ground pepper and salt. Serve immediately. I could eat this as the entire meal. It has protein, vegetables, and fat. Then if you add a glass of wine you have covered your fruit!
Vegetable Side Dish Recipes
Have leftovers? Rewarm the combination and make an omelet in the morning or in a quiche. Everything is already cooked and ready to be reheated.
Sauteed Asparagus with Bacon and Onions
- 1 pound asparagus
- 8 ounces bacon or pancetta
- 1 red onion
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Cut bacon into 1/3 inch pieces with scissors. Fry in a large frying pan till almost done.
- Slice onions into 2 inch long slices and add to the bacon and bacon grease. Cook till onions begin to soften.
- Add asparagus cut in 2 inch long pieces and add to the onion and bacon. Cook for 5-7 minutes or the asparagus is tender.
- If the pan gets dry as it is cooking add olive oil. With a minute or two left to cook add juice from one lemon and salt and pepper to taste.