I love grilled food. I have plenty of grilled entry recipes, but sometimes I lack in the side dish department. However, when it comes to grilled side dishes these grilled sweet potatoes with bacon and onions are simple side dishes made right on the grill in one pan.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Bacon and Onions are an easy grilled side dish recipe perfect for your next BBQ. Throw some herbs in these potatoes to make the flavors even more fresh and flavorful.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes Ingredients
I am all for simple recipes, especially in the summer. The hardest part of this recipe is slicing the three main ingredients. Here is what you need to make these sweet potatoes:
- large sweet potatoes
- red onions
- seasoning - salt and pepper, cinnamon or garlic pepper
- olive oil
How to make Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Bacon and Onions
Prep your ingredients by washing them all and peeling the sweet potatoes if you aren't a sweet potato skin fan as well as the red onion.
Next, thinly slice the sweet potatoes. I usually make one large potato per person. Depending on the size of the sweet potatoes, you may be ok doing a half a potato per person.
Slice the onion and cut the bacon into pieces. Line a grill pan with aluminum foil and layer half of the bacon and onions on the bottom of the pan. Top the bacon and onions then with the sliced sweet potatoes.
If you are trying to cook these grilled sweet potatoes faster, cut the potato slices in quarters.
Top off with the remaining onions and bacon. I also seasoned with salt and pepper, a little cinnamon and some fresh thyme. The thyme is completely optional. Don't stress if you do not have it.
Then cook over indirect heat or at least off to the side of the hottest part of the grill. Stir occasionally to help spread the bacon grease out over the sweet potatoes. Depending on the temperature of the grill depends on the time it takes to cook. I normally let the potatoes cook for thirty minutes.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Bacon and Onions
- Grill Pan
- 2 large sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 3 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme optional
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Layer half the onions and bacon on the bottom of an aluminum foil lined grilled pan.
- Place the sliced sweet potatoes over the top of the onions and peppers. Top off with the remaining onions and bacon.
- Season with cinnamon, thyme and salt and pepper.
- Cook on a 350 degree grill in indirect heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until potatoes are soft, approximately 30 minutes.
- May also be baked on 350 degrees.