When I do not know what to get at a Mexican restaurant, I always default to carnitas. Always. I love all things pork, and carnitas are one of my favorite pork dishes. I decided I needed carnitas to be in home life more as well. I have crock pot carnitas and beer-braised carnitas. Now I have Instant Pot Carnitas.
Instant Pot Carnitas combines the citrus flavors with traditional Mexican flavors for a mouth full of pork goodness. With a little help from the beer and a little help from the pressure cooker, the Instant Pot Carnitas are completely tender too.
Instant Pot Carnitas
I used sliced pork shoulder for this Instant Pot Carnitas recipe. Sliced pork shoulder can also be called pork steaks. You can also just buy a whole pork shoulder roast and cut it up into pieces. I then created a marinade that also became the juice for cooking.
The Carnitas Ingredients...
In a large bowl, combine the pieces of pork shoulder with orange juice, lime juice, beer, garlic, adobo seasoning, and smoky seasoning salt. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or even overnight. Then you are ready to get your Instant Pot going. I use a 6-quart Instant Pot.
Once you are ready to start cooking, turn your instant pot to saute and put a little oil along with the sliced onions and minced garlic in the bottom of the instant pot. If you like jalapenos, through them in there too. Then put the pork on top of the onions and garlic. Let cook for a few minutes to begin cooking the meat.
Pour the marinade over the meat.
Turn the Instant Pot to meat or manual and cook for 30 minutes. When the time is up, you can turn the vent valve to quick release. At this point, you can literally eat the carnitas. But, I can't deny myself some burnt edges if I have the opportunity.
I dumped the meat into my braiser and stuck it under the oven broiler for several minutes to crust up the edges. And at this point I have reached carnitas nirvana.
Go ahead and put the pork shoulder on the grocery list. And if you don't have an Instant Pot, put that on there too. Instant Pot carnitas needs to be in your future.
Other Pork Recipes:
Instant Pot Carnitas
- 2 pounds pork shoulder steaks or roasts, cut into pieces
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup beer
- 3 limes
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 4 jalapenos, sliced
- Place sliced pork in a large ziploc bag. Pour orange juice, beer, and juice from one lime over the meat. Add adobo seasoning, seasoned salt, and two of the cloves of minced garlic. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to the saute setting. Place butter in the bottom and put the onion and remaining two cloves of garlic over the butter. If using jalapenos, add slices of them now as well. Stir.
- Add the pork pieces over the onions and stir while sauteing for several minutes.
- Pour the marinade over the meat and onions. Place lid on the Instant Pot and turn to meat setting for 30 minutes.
- When Instant Pot is done, quick release the valve. If you like crisper pieces, put pork in an oven safe pan and put under the broiler for several minutes.
- Squeeze the juice of one lime over the carnitas and top with chopped cilantro.
- Serve in tortillas or with your favorite Mexican fixings.
- Spicy Ranch 7-Layer Taco Dip - Single Serving Option - September 6, 2021
- Tomato Basil Sauce - Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe - September 2, 2021
- Cucumbers and Sour Cream - How to Make Cucumber and Sour Cream Salad - July 25, 2021