Skillet zucchini and summer squash recipe with corn and mushrooms is a quick sauteed squash recipe that comes together with lots of flavors thanks to onions, garlic, and fresh herbs. Zucchini and summer squash is always bountiful in the summer which is why I am always looking for recipes to use them up. This recipe was one of those that was so delicious I kept coming back for more vegetables!
This recipe is also one I would say is versatile to your likes and dislikes. If you don't like mushrooms, leave them out. Don't have yellow summer squash, use all zucchini. Have banana peppers, throw them in the skillet too. The flavors of summer truly come together in this zucchini skillet.
Skillet Zucchini Ingredients
The basics to this sauteed zucchini recipe to come to life are butter, garlic, and onions. Now, obviously the zucchini too.
- Zucchini - Smaller zucchini work better for this recipe than larger ones. But if you have a large zucchini, just cut it in half or even quarters.
- Summer Squash - Pick summer squash similar in size to your smallish zucchini.
- Onions - Sweet onions are my pick here, but whatever you have on hand will work.
- Garlic - Minced garlic is best here - fresh or the jarred kind. If you don't have garlic, garlic powder can be a good substitute.
- Mushrooms - White button mushrooms work for this but baby portabellas would also work well in this skillet.
- Sweet Corn - Fresh sweet corn off the cob is best, but I also use the frozen sweet corn too.
- Better than Bouillon Roasted Chicken
Other ingredients that would be great to substitute or add to this dish:
- banana peppers
- Poblano peppers
The best way to make this skillet zucchini recipe is to prep all the vegetables before you begin. Start by slicing the zucchini and summer squash, mincing the garlic, slicing the onions, and chopping the mushrooms. If you have fresh sweet corn, cut it off the cob. If you are using frozen sweet corn, cook it for 50% of the time to get it just warm. Then begin making the zucchini saute by putting butter, onions, and garlic in the bottom of the cast iron skillet.
Cook for several minutes and then add the mushrooms. Saute for several more minutes. Then add the fresh corn or partially cooked corn, a bit more butter, the Better than Bouillon, and season generously with salt and pepper.
Zucchini and Squash Recipes
If you are looking for more easy squash recipes, Beyer Beware has you covered.
Skillet Zucchini and Summer Squash Recipe
- cast-iron skillet
- 2 zucchini
- 2 summer squash
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sweet corn
- 1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon Roasted Chicken
- 2 teaspoons salt and pepper blend
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley and chives
- Start by slicing all the vegetables, mincing the garlic, and chopping the mushrooms into quarters. Either cut the corn off the cob or if using frozen corn, cook it 50% of the time on the package.
- Heat up the skillet over medium heat, and add one tablespoon of butter. Add the sliced onions and minced garlic to the skillet. Stir around the butter until the onions just begin to soften.
- Add the zucchini, summer squash, and mushrooms to the skillet and stir into the garlic and onions. Season with one teaspoon of a salt and pepper blend.
- When the mushrooms begin to shrink down, add the corn to the skillet with better than bouillon and butter. Season with the remaining teaspoon of salt and pepper blend. Stir and cook and until all the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the herbs and serve immediately.