Ham is an overlooked star beyond Easter and Christmas dinner. However, ham is a great meat option for any weeknight meal. I love to substitute ham in place of chicken in a lot of dishes to change it up. I did just that with some leftover ham from my double-smoked apricot bourbon ham. Cheesy ham, broccoli, and rice casserole was a delicious switch to a traditional chicken casserole.
The great thing about ham is the price and how easy it is to use. Since ham comes "pre-cooked" since it is smoked this reduces one more thing to cook for the casserole. Cheesy ham, broccoli, and rice casserole quickly combined steamed broccoli and cauliflower, diced onions and celery, minute rice, and creamy cheese sauce. Baked for a quick 30 minutes for an easy dinner recipe.
Broccoli and Rice Casserole with Ham Ingredients
The ingredients for this easy casserole recipe are similar to traditional broccoli, cauliflower, and rice casserole. The basics are rice, vegetables, and cheese sauce. However, there is some flexibility within the ingredients.
- Ham - The meat of choice for me is ham, but chicken can be substituted.
- Broccoli - Plus some cauliflower. Or not if white broccoli isn't your thing.
- Onions - Diced but if you aren't an onion person, leave out.
- Celery - Chopped and mixed with the onions.
- Mushrooms - completely optional, but would be amazing in this.
- Butter - You need something to saute these veggies in.
- Cream of Soup - Cheddar soup and cream of mushroom is what is used in this version. Cream of chicken would work just fine too.
- Rice - Minute rice is my hero. Regardless, just needs to be cooked.
- Cheese - Velveeta is what I used. Old school recipe called for Cheez whiz but shredded cheddar would work too.
How to make Ham, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole
With this recipe, start by chopping all the vegetables. I had fresh broccoli and cauliflower and started with it so I could start steaming it. You could use frozen broccoli and cauliflower too. I steamed in my oven steamer but also could use a microwave steamer. Dice and chop and celery next. If you are using mushrooms, get them sliced up as well. Then saute them in butter in a dutch oven. Simultaneously steam your minute rice.
When the onions and celery are softened from sauteing and the broccoli is steamed, combine into the Dutch oven. Stir to combine and add the cheese and cream of soups. Stir until cheese is melted. Then stir in the cooked rice.
Now, you can add the chopped ham to the cheese broccoli and rice. Stir to combine.
Pour the combination in a casserole dish or a 13x9 baking dish.
Top with more shredded cheese or not. If you have more, a little more cheese will never hurt. Bake on 350 degrees for 30 minutes until the casserole is good and bubbly
Cheesy Ham, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole
- 1½ cup dry minute rice
- 1½ cup water
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1½ cup chopped broccoli
- 1½ cup chopped cauliflower
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cheddar soup
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 2 cups chopped ham
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven at 350°.
- Start by bringing the water to boil. When the water boils, add the rice and stir. Remove from heat and cover.
- Steam the broccoli and cauliflower in the microwave or stovetop.
- Add the butter to a Dutch oven. Add the onions and celery. Saute until softened and then stir the steamed broccoli and cauliflower into the pan.
- Stir in the soups and half of the cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted over a very low heat.
- Pour the rice into the pan and then the ham. Add the salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour into a casserole dish or 13x9 pan. Top with the remaining velveeta by shredding or thinly slicing.
- Bake for 30 minutes.