How to cook a steak on the stove or even how to cook a steak in the oven is important to know for ribeye steak lovers like me. Juicy steaks don't have to be just made on the grill. We love grilling steaks, but in Indiana sometimes I don't want to stand outside and grill in the middle of winter which is why it is important to know how to make a steak on the stove. Ever wonder how to cook a steak on the stove or in the oven? This cast iron skillet steak is a quick and easy way to make steak indoors.
We love steak. Now, sometimes when we want a steak in the middle of the winter we will fire up the Big Green Egg. But sometimes you just need a good cast iron skillet.
What you need to make steaks in a cast-iron skillet
The key to successful steaks is thick steaks and a screaming hot skillet.
Let's start with the steak. I wouldn't make steaks this way unless they are an inch or thicker. If you like medium-rare steaks, you best be going thicker than an inch. I would also use cuts of steak like ribeye, T-bone, porterhouse, filet, or New York Strip. A sirloin might work ok, but I haven't tried a sirloin this way.I would also go with a steak that is labeled "choice" and has a good amount of fat. See the flecks of fat in the muscle of the ribeye steaks below.
How to Make a Good Steak on the Stove?
Start by taking the steaks out of the fridge and letting them rest for 15 -30 minutes on the counter. Get the oven to 350 degrees and warm the skillet over medium-high heat. I use a simple steak seasoning like Montreal Steak Seasoning or Weber Steak and Chop Seasoning. Season both sides of the steak with seasoning and put a little oil in the pan.
Sear both sides of the steak for 2 minutes on each side.
Then put in the oven for 6-10 minutes depending on the way you like your steak prepared. For more rare closer to 6 minutes. As soon as the steak is done put pats of butter on each steak and remove from the cast iron skillet. It is a really great idea to have a good meat thermometer. Then you will know the exact temperature of your steaks to have the best doneness.
Then let your meat rest. Seriously.
Enjoy your steak prepared indoors in less than 15 minutes. These steaks are perfect with Keto Creamed Spinach. Both can be ready in under 15 minutes making the perfect dinner.
Love pork chops too? Don't miss out on our Pan-Fried Pork Chops either.
Tips for Making the Perfect Steak
- Let your steak come to room temperature for 30-60 minutes before cooking it.
- Don't season the steak until right before you cook it. The salt can bring moisture out while it waits to cook.
- Always let your meat rest after you cook it.
- Don't be afraid to use compound butters as it can enhance the flavors of the steak.
How to Cook Steak Recipes
Cajun New York Strips with Cajun Compound Butter
How to Make a Steak on the Stove?
- 2 ribeye T-Bone, filet, or New York Strip steaks, an inch or thicker
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Set steaks out of the fridge for 15-30 minutes prior to preparing to make steak.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On the stove top heat cast iron skillet till it is hot over medium-high heat.
- Season both sides of the steak and put oil in the hot skillet.
- Sear both sides of the steak for two minutes and place the skillet of steaks in the oven for 6-10 minutes.
- For more rare steak cook closer to 6 minutes more well done, closer to 10 minutes.
- As soon as you pull the steaks out, put a pat of butter on each steak and remove immediately from the skillet.
- Let rest for five minutes before eating.
Other great recipes at Weekend Potluck and Meal Plan Monday.
Affiliate links were used
- Sheet Pan Pork Tenderloin andPotatoes - May 30, 2023
- Sea Breeze Cocktail - Vodka Cranberry Grapefruit Drink - May 6, 2023
- Italian Coleslaw - April 30, 2023
I have never used the oven to make a steak, just grilled. Great information on how to do it, thanks for sharing!
Hi this is my first time making steak. This seems like a simple recipe. Would it make any difference if i didn't have a cast iron skillet and just had a regular skillet that comes with the pots an pans
I want to cook some steaks, but I don't have very much experience. I should really get some steak seasoning! I'll be sure to season both sides before cooking them.
Tried this tonight for dinner. Steak turned out great and so simple. I just used some steak seasoning Thank you!
Sounds easy enough and I like that you suggest a meat thermometer ... BUT it would be nice if you listed the temperature we are trying to achieve for rare, medium rare, etc.
Did rib-eye steak tonight , 2" thick. Did 3 minutes per side and put in 350 degree oven for 12 minutes, pulled out and let it rest for 4 minutes. Spices: ground pepper, garlic powder, steak seasoning and a little Worcester Sauce. Turned out medium rare and delicious!
It sounds absolutely incredible. So glad you enjoyed them.
Thanks for this recipe and the tips! My steak came out AMAZING!