Sloppy Joes are always a favorite meal at our house. The downside is they can be super messy to eat and definitely harder to eat when on the go, at the fair, in the barn, or tailgating at the latest sporting event. These sloppy joe sticks are less messy version using a super easy sloppy joe recipe then wrapped in pizza crust dough with cheese to make a sloppy joe burrito.
I wasn't joking when I said we love sloppy joes at our house. I have a recipe for sloppy joes for a crowd, no precooking all in the crock pot sloppy joes recipe, and even a sloppy joe biscuit casserole. So, when I was getting a request for sloppy joes on a night we were not going to have enough time to sit down to eat because of outside work, these sloppy joe sticks were the perfect handheld solution.
Sloppy Joe Sticks Ingredients
- Ground beef: An 80/20 mix will work just fine for this recipe
- Refrigerator Pizza Dough. The regular crust thickness found in the refrigerator section near the biscuits and crescent rolls.
- Onion: A white or sweet onion, diced.
- Ketchup: Whatever your preferred brand is will work just fine.
- Mustard: Standard yellow mustard is just fine.
- Brown sugar: Light brown sugar will work fine but if you are a dark brown person, that will work.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
Begin by browning the beef and onions together with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. When fully cooked, add the ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar. Remove from heat and stir to combine. Set aside, and start working on the crust.
Roll the refrigerator pizza dough crust out on a cookie sheet. Cut in half lengthwise and then cut three cuts along its width from eight rectangle pieces. Now you are ready to start building the stuffing.
Spoon the prepared sloppy joe mixture on each rectangle and then top with a colby-jack cheese stick. Then you will begin rolling up each piece of crust cinching the end together down the middle and at the ends. Roll the dough over to be the seam down on the cookie sheet.
The sloppy joe sticks also travel well with the help of aluminum disposable pans. I always have the half-size chafing pans with lids on hand for meals on the go or meals for other people. These fit perfectly in the pan and were ready to be taken to where we were headed.
More Great Handheld Recipes
Sloppy Joe Sticks
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tube classic refrigerator pizza crust dough 13.5 ounce tube
- 8 sticks colby-jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- In a skillet, combine ground beef, onions, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Brown until beef is completely cooked. Stir in the ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar. Remove from heat.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a cookie sheet. Cut in half lengthwise and then cut three times widthwise to form eight rectangles.
- Spoon the sloppy joes evenly over the eight rectangles. Then top with the cheese sticks.
- Roll the dough around the meat and cheese stick closing off the seams at the top and ends. Flip the dough over to have the seam down on the pan.
- Combine the butter and garlic salt and brush over the dough.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.