Instant Pot butternut squash risotto is a creamy risotto recipe has a hint of sweetness but savory in flavor from the onion, garlic, and sage and is made in under 20 minutes. I love risotto but it takes so much care to make it on the stove or it turns gummy fast. I am now all in on making risotto in the Instant Pot.
This risotto was so good that even my family member who doesn't like rice or butternut squash like this. I think because it isn't a sweet or cinnamon flavored squash recipe, it surprised him that he liked butternut squash risotto.
Butternut Squash Risotto Ingredients
The ingredients are what make this risotto. The marriage of flavors had me wanting seconds or thirds of this amazing risotto recipe.
Here are the ingredients you will need for this recipe
- Arborio rice
- Butternut Squash - Fresh or frozen
- White wine
- Chicken base
- Fox Point Seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper
How to make Instant Pot Butternut Squash Risotto
To start making risotto in the Instant Pot, dice up the onion and garlic cloves. Then turn the Instant Pot to saute setting. Drop your butter into the pot followed by the diced onions and garlic. For a minute or two saute the onions and garlic until they just start soften. Add rice and herbs to the vegetables and butter. Saute another minute. Then pour the wine into the pot.
Simmer for two minutes and then cancel to turn to manual high pressure. Then add the diced butternut squash to the pot along with 2 cups of water. Stir to combine. Set the time to minutes and secure the lid to the Instant Pot.
When the time expires, quick release the pressure to be able to remove the lid. Then stir in the parmesan cheese to combine and let a bit of the liquid steam off. Take a little taste test to see if you need to add more salt and pepper. This risotto pairs perfectly with the honey mustard grilled pork chops.
This risotto was creamy and savory and not gummy at all. I don't know why I haven't made risotto in the Instant Pot sooner.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Risotto
- Instant Pot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon fox trot seasoning
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 cups butternut squash 12 ounces
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Begin by dicing the onion and garlic. Then turn the Instant Pot to saute and place the butter, onions, and garlic in the pot. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add the herbs and rice to the pot. Stir to combine and cook for one minute. Then add the chicken base to the rice. Stir to combine.
- Deglaze the pot by adding the wine. Let simmer for another two minutes. Then add the butternut squash and water to the pot. Stir to combine everything.
- Cancel the saute setting and turn the Instant Pot back on to manual setting on high. Set the time to six minutes. Finally, secure the lid and press start.
- When the time is done, quick release the pressure. When the lid is able to be removed, stir in the parmesan cheese. Taste to be sure the amount of salt and pepper are needed, if any for your taste. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
Shared on Weekend Potluck