Low Carb Salisbury Steak is a one-pan meal that involves a skillet cooking butter with onions and mushrooms before sauteeing the hamburger steaks that all meld together with a brown gravy from the pan drippings. When I think of Salisbury steak, I think about dreading it on a school lunch menu. Then I made this low carb one-pan Salisbury steak with mushroom and onion gravy. Holy Smokes, who knew Salisbury steak could be so good. This was a simple 20-minute meal that exploded with flavor.
The simplicity of this recipe is in partial thanks to premade beef patties from Sumner Point Beef. If you don't buy premade patties, start soon. Or you can get frozen ones shipped to you from Sumner Point Beef Family Dinner Box.
Low Carb One-Pan Salisbury Steak with Mushroom & Onion Gravy
Besides the pre-made hamburger patties, the ingredients for this recipe should be standard staples in your life. Onions, mushrooms, butter, steak seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, Roasted Beef Better than Bouillon, and sour cream are the staples to bring this Salisbury steak to life.
In the skillet, add a pat of butter and begin melting it over medium heat. Season the beef patties with the steak seasoning. Then add the patties to the skillet. Sprinkle Worcestershire sauce over the top of the patties. I was using a smaller skillet so only two patties would fit. I cooked in intervals but would use a larger skillet next time.
Flip the burgers and add the sliced mushrooms and onions to cook down with the burgers. Cook for a few minutes on this side and remove from the pan. Then add more butter to the pan to cook the mushrooms and onions in.
To help deglaze the pan, add a bit of water to help deglaze the pan. Stir the onions and peppers around in the water and add the Better than Bouillon paste to the pan. Keep stirring the mushrooms and onions to dissolve the paste.
For myself, I just ate a low carb one-pan Salisbury steak with the gravy and mushrooms and onions. If you have carb eaters I am sure this is amazing over the top of some mashed potatoes. The gravy is like the plate good which is the perfect reason to eat carbs, but then the carbs also stick to me.
Low Carb One-Pan Salisbury Steak
- 1 pound ground beef made into 3 beef patties or 3 third pound beef patties
- 2 teaspoons Steak Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worchestire sauce
- ½ cup onions, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Roasted Beef Better than Bouillon
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Melt one tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Season both sides of the hamburger patties. Add to the skillet.
- Cook the patties on both sides for 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and let rest.
- Add the additional butter, onions, and mushrooms to the pan. When the butter is melted and the mushrooms begin to soften, add water to help deglaze the pan.
- Stir in the Better than Bouillon.
- When liquid is beginning to reduce, add the sour cream. Stir until the sour cream is completely incorporated.
- Add the patties back to the skillet and continue to simmer, cover the patties with the gravy and the veggies.