Making sides in the air fryer is the number one reason I tell people they need an air fryer. These air fryer sweet potatoes are one of my favorite ways to make sweet potatoes. This version is a cubed sweet potato recipe but I have done this with homefry sweet potatoes as well. This is always done fast, leaving crispy outside and soft insides.
We love love mini tater tots in our air fryer so I knew these sweet potatoes would also be so good in the air fryer.
What to put on sweet potatoes to air fry
Sweet potatoes are obviously the star of this recipe, but two more ingredients get you to the best dang fried sweet potatoes.
- Sweet Potatoes - Whole sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed. Precut or even frozen sweet potatoes can work too. Our grocery store has precut veggies a lot of times and sometimes they even have sweet potatoes.
- Seasoning - This is up to your flavor liking, but I recommend two different ones. Bold Chipotle is a great one if you love a little heat and smokiness with your sweet potatoes. Honey Garlic seasoning is a great seasoning for potatoes if you are looking for less spice.
- Avocado oil - I am becoming a big fan of avocado oil because the flavor isn't as distinct as olive oil, but olive oil could also work for this.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer
When it comes to how to cook sweet potatoes in the air fryer, this method is quick and easy. The beautiful thing about this way of making diced sweet potatoes is that it will also work for regular red, yellow, or baking potatoes in the air fryer too. The white potatoes do take a bit longer to cook.
Peel and cut up the potatoes, and place them in a medium-sized bowl.
Drizzle sweet potatoes with oil and season with your choice of seasoning.
In a preheated 390-degree air fryer, dump the cubed potatoes.
Cook for 5-7 minutes, and then shake or stir the potatoes. Cook an additional 5-7 minutes until potatoes are fork-tender.
Remember the larger the diced sweet potatoes the longer it may take for them to cook. The potatoes may need a bit more seasoning depending on how much came off in the air fryer pan. Sample one to make sure you don't need to season before serving them. Serve immediately alongside your favorite chicken, beef, or pork entree. You will now only make sweet potatoes in the air fryer this way.
Hint: If you like extra crispy potatoes, cook for 2 more minutes after the potatoes are fork tender.
Variations to Cubed Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer
Giving the visitor ideas on how they can change this recipe to better suit their dinner guests, or their cultural cuisine, is a great way to increase the chances they make the recipe
- Bacon and Onions - Air fry these diced sweet potatoes with bacon and onions to bring out even more savory and smoky flavors.
- Sliced Rounds- When I am in a really big hurry, I don't even peel the sweet potatoes, just slice them and coat them in oil and seasoning. The disks lay perfectly in the air fryer and air fry up quickly.
- Diced Potatoes - Make these with starchy white potatoes. Red potatoes are my favorite to do this in the air fryer.
- Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer - Cut the sweet potatoes into long, quarter-inch spears for a fry version of these sweet potatoes.
Check out these grilled sweet potatoes with bacon and onions to see more way to eat sweet potatoes.
I have three air fryers, but I have my favorite. The Ninja Foodi Grill and Air Fryer is used every single day of the week. It is perfect for reheating leftovers, cooking veggies, and making fast grilled chicken. I am obsessed.
Reheating Leftover Diced Sweet Potatoes
Store the leftovers in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat in the air fryer for five minutes or even warm up in a skillet. Leftover potatoes are great with fried eggs and some cottage cheese sort of like this sweet potato hash.
Top tip for Making Cubed Sweet Potatoes
Prep the potatoes ahead of time and throw them in a bowl or bag to make dinner preparations even faster in the evening. Then follow the same method for how to cook sweet potatoes in the air fryer.
If you do not want to peel the sweet potatoes, you can make the potatoes with the skin on. The skin is safe to eat but fairly tough.
If you have leftover fried sweet potatoes, you can freeze them and bring them back to tasty crispiness in the air fryer. Freeze in a freezer bag for up to three months.
Sweet Potato Recipes
Cubed Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer Recipe
- Air Fryer
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons Bold Chipotle Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Avocado oil
- Peel and cubed the sweet potatoes and place in a medium bowl.
- Drizzle the avocado oil over the potatoes and then season with the seasoning.
- Dump the potatoes in a preheated air fryer at 390°.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes and then stir or toss in the air fryer baskets. Cook another 5-7 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- For extra crispy, cook for a few more minutes.