Easy Apple Dumplings recipe is a 5-ingredient apple dessert that is made with store-bought pie crusts, apples, cinnamon and sugar, butter, and simple cinnamon and sugar syrup for the easiest apple dumplings recipe ever. With fall comes on the onset of apples everywhere. But, I have a confession. I don't really love cooked apples. Not crazy for applesauce. I am not all in on an apple pie with ice cream on top. However, my mom raves about the apple dumplings she makes straight from the mid-1970's edition of the Better Homes and Garden red checkered cookbook. Of course, I was like this can be made more easily than it suggested. And boy did I with these 5-Ingredient Apple Dumplings!
Super Easy 5-Ingredient Apple Dumplings are made with store-bought pie crusts, apples, cinnamon and sugar, butter, and a simple cinnamon and sugar syrup. These dumplings are so simple to make and taste so amazing with big scoops of vanilla ice cream your family will want them made on a regular basis.
When a recipe has too many ingredients, I am exhausted before even starting the recipe. When my mom shared the apple dumpling recipe with me, I began to eliminate ingredients. Beginning with all the ingredients for the crust. I don't know why I have an aversion to making pie crust, but here I am refusing to make to it.
The five ingredients you need to make this super easy apple dumpling recipe are:
- Apples - The debate on which apples are the best for baking is a real thing. You want to choose an apple that will not get mushy and keep its structure. Honeycrisp is my pick for apples to eat and bake. Other great apple varieties for these dumplings are Granny Smith, Jonagold, Braeburn, and Pink Lady apples.
- Pie Crust - Feel free to make a pie crust, but I just went ahead and bought my pie crusts. Do not buy the ones in the pan but rather rolled up in a box of two in the fridge section.
- Butter - The real thing. Only 100% butter will do. No margarine.
- Sugar - Regular white sugar is all you need here. Brown sugar can be used for a richer flavor too.
- Cinnamon - Whatever kind of cinnamon you like, you can use in this recipe.
How to Make Apple Dumplings
Making this easy apple dumpling recipe requires three basic workstreams. You have to roll out the two pie crusts together, make a simple syrup with water, sugar, and cinnamon, and slice and peel the apples. I start by making the simple syrup. To make the simple syrup, combine sugar, water, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve. Remove from the heat and add butter. Stir until completely melted and set aside.
When the crust is ready, slice and peel apples. I used an apple slicer and then peeled each slice of apple.
To each square of pie crusts add six or so slices of apples, a pat of butter, and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Then wet the edges of the pie crust to pull up and around the apple slices to form the dumpling.
Place the dumplings in a medium baking dish. I used my Le Creuset 7x11 baking dish. Don't stress on the dumplings being perfect. Mine was sort of a hot mess.
You go back to that syrup. With the syrup, these dumplings go from tasty little pies to hello sweet apple goodness. Pour about ¾ of that syrup over the dumplings. You want the dumplings swimming in the syrup.
Super Easy 5-Ingredient Apple Dumplings
Cinnamon Sugar Syrup
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 refrigerator pie crusts
- 6 whole apples, sliced and peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Begin by making the cinnamon simple syrup. In a small pan on the stove, combine 1 ½ cups sugar, 1 ½ cups water, and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon. Over medium heat bring to a boil. When the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat. Add three tablespoons of butter and stir to melt.
- For the dumplings, combine the two pie crusts into one big dough ball and roll out into a 12x18 inch rectangle. Then cut into six squares.
- To each square add sliced and peeled apples. Use a half an apple to a whole apple per square depending on the size of your apples. Put a half a tablespoon of butter on the apple and then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Repeat.
- Then wet the edges of the crust and bring around the apples to form the dumplings. Place the dumplings in a 7X11 baking dish.
- When apple dumplings are all made, pour the syrup over the top of the dumplings.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Continue to spoon the syrup over the dumplings as they bake.
- Serve with ice cream.