As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The weather is cooling off, to my dismay of course. To combat this weather, I have been wanting warm comforting soups. Now, the man of the house doesn’t look at soup as a meal, but he will get used to it one of these days. The first soup to try was a big hit with the kids and me, though. Plus it was easy! This crock pot creamy chicken and wild rice soup is so creamy and rich everyone will be wanting a second bowl from the crock pot.
Crock Pot Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Start the base of the crock pot creamy chicken and wild rice soup by chopping up two stalks of celery. Then toss some carrots in the food processor to chop up finely to get about a cup or so. I also diced one shallot. If you don’t have a shallot, dice a half of an onion. I then tossed it in the crock pot along with two cloves I had sliced. Now, this is optional, but I sliced about 4 or 5 mushrooms and tossed them in as well.
So, I wasn’t sure if this was going to work when I decided to try it, but I thought it would be worth a try. Grab a box of long grain and wild rice. My Rice A Roni Long Grain and Wild Rice box was the 4.2-ounce box.
Dump the box of rice it on top of the veggies. Then add about 1 pound of chicken breasts and chicken tenders. I buy the tenders and breasts when they are on sale and freeze them in 1 pound portions to use later. I then poured the seasoning packet from the rice over top of the chicken. Then pour a box (or four cups) of chicken broth over everything. Pour two more cup of water over top. Then cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
Then start on the roux by melting a stick of butter. Mix together 1/3 cup of flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add it to the butter. When the roux is formed it will look something like this. Then slowly add 2 cups of milk or half and half cream. I did a combo of the milk and half and half cream.
Pour it into the crock pot and stir together.
Crock Pot Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
This slow cooked chicken and wild rice soup is so creamy and rich everyone will be wanting a second bowl from the crock pot.
- 1 cup carrots chopped or grated
- 1 cup celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 4-5 mushrooms sliced
- 1 shallot or 1/2 onion diced
- 1 box long grain and wild rice
- 1 pound chicken breasts or tenders
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 cups milk
- Mix the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, mushrooms, chicken, rice and seasoning packet, broth, and water into slow cooker.
- Cook on low setting for six to eight hours or on high for four hours.
- Break apart chicken at the end of cooking time and turn to low if cooked on high.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, salt, and pepper, whisking together with melted butter to form a roux. Slowly whisk in milk.
- Continue adding milk and whisking till mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir mixture into slow cooker. Let cook an additional 15 minutes on low heat.