As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I am slightly obsessed with scones. And if you have some blueberries in the fridge, go ahead and use them in these blueberry lemon scones.
Start by mixing together the dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, just mix them together in a bowl. Then cut the cold butter in a few pats at a time. The dough will be flaky. Then transfer to a bowl and add your buttermilk.
Stir the buttermilk into the dry ingredients till it is just combined. Add the zest of one lemon. Knead several times to combine. The dough will be sticky. So, have extra flour handy. Then carefully knead in one cup of blueberries. To make the scones you can split the dough in half and roll out each half to a round that is half an inch thick and cut like a pie forming 8 small triangles. Or roll the dough out to be about a half of inch thick large piece and use a biscuit cutter to form round scones. Then reroll dough similar to how you would do with sugar cookie cutouts.
Bake the scones at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes or the scones are golden.
And now it is time for the lemon glaze. Mix the juice of one lemon, about 2 tablespoons with 2 cups of powdered sugar.
Blueberry Lemon Scones are the perfect spring breakfast or treat with your morning coffee or afternoon tea. These blueberry scones are flaky and flavorful with the hint of lemon flavor.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbs sugar
- 1 stick of butter the real stuff cold
- 1 cup buttermilk
- zest of one lemon
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- Juice from one lemon
- Mix dry ingredients together and then cut parts of butter into dry ingredients by hand or in a food processor.
- In a large bowl stir buttermilk into dry ingredients till just combined. Add lemon zest to the dough and knead on a floured surface about ten times. Fold in blueberries.
- Roll out into two separate circles a half inch thick. Cut like a pie into eight triangles or use a biscuit cutter for round scones.
- Bake on 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes, till golden.
- Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice together. If too runny, add more powdered sugar.
- Dip cooled scones into glaze or drizzle over top of scones.
- Cheesy Shepherd’s Pie – Mashed Potato Ground Beef Casserole - February 22, 2020
- Crock Pot Taco Stuffed Pepper Soup – Taco Hamburger and Rice Soup - February 9, 2020
- Whiskey Dogs – Lit’l Smokies Appetizer - February 8, 2020