Knowing how to cook a chicken in an Instant Pot will be a gift for cooking a whole chicken quickly for fall of the bone chicken that can be used in soup, casseroles, and salads. The seasonings you use to make this chicken can be adjusted for how you want to use the chicken. The technique is the same regardless for a perfect fall of the bone whole chicken every time.
If you have kids who are always hungry, having this precooked chicken on hand is a game-changer. I use this chicken to throw together quesadillas or chicken salad for quick, hearty snacks or lunches.
Ingredients for Cooking a Whole Chicken in a Pressure Cooker
The seasonings used to make this fall-off-the-bone chicken can definitely be changed up, but here is a great standard seasoning to make delicious chicken and noodles or chicken and rice soup.
Ingredients for a fall off the bone chicken:
- Whole chicken
- Kinder's Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- Fox Pointe
- Salt and Pepper
How to Cook a Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot
To make the Instant Pot whole chicken, begin by preparing the chicken. Remove the neck, gizzards, liver, and heart from the internal cavity. You can discard or use these parts in the water of the instant pot for more flavor. Then season the entire outside of the chicken with garlic and herb seasoning and salt and pepper. Place butter in the chicken cavity and season with the Fox Point seasoning.
Place the trivet in the IP and fill it with water until the water just covers the trivet. Place the chicken in the pressure cooker, breast side up.
The rule of thumb for cooking a whole chicken in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker is 6 minutes per pound, roughly. I had a five-pound bird and cooked it on high pressure for 30 minutes. Then because I had the time, I natural released the Instant Pot for 10 minutes before finishing with a quick release. The bird will be perfect to eat sliced immediately. If you are using this chicken to make a soup or a casserole, you will want to cut into the chicken and let it cool to handle easier.
The chicken breast can be sliced while the dark meat can easily be pulled off the bone and then chopped for use in soups and casseroles.
Recipes Using Shredded Chicken
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic and herb seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Fox Pointe Seasoning
- 2-4 cups water
- Salt and Pepper
- Place the Instant Pot on high pressure for 6 minutes per pound of chicken.
- In the bottom of the Instant Pot, Place a trivet with handles.
- Fill with water until it just covers the trivet.
- Remove the neck, gizzard, liver, and heart from the internal cavity of the chicken. Place the neck in the instant pot.
- Season the chicken with the garlic and herbs seasoning. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the butter and Fox Pointe Seasoning in the internal cavity.
- Set the chicken, breast side up, in the Instant Pot. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and press start.
- Cook and then let natural release or quick release.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and slice.
- Reserve the broth to use in soups.
- Sheet Pan Pork Tenderloin andPotatoes - May 30, 2023
- Sea Breeze Cocktail - Vodka Cranberry Grapefruit Drink - May 6, 2023
- Italian Coleslaw - April 30, 2023