As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Naturally when I am reviewing a new cookbook I am drawn to the Mexican inspired recipes. When the recipe includes a beef roast and a crock pot, I am sold. Gonna try the recipe. This crock pot chipotle shredded beef did not disappoint anyone in the family.
Crock Pot Chipotle Shredded Beef
The recipe called for a chuck roast, but here is the deal, use whatever beef roast you have on hand or is on sale at the grocery store. It will all work the same. Place the beautiful beef roast in the crock pot.
The original recipe called for cans of diced tomatoes, green chiles and chipotle sauce. I, however, had enchilada sauce instead of chipotle. It also called for chili powder and cumin. I had Penzey’s Chili 9000 which has cumin and other yummy seasonings and herbs. So, I used two tablespoons of it instead. Topped the roast with sliced onions and the canned goods before letting it slow cook all day. I omitted the beef broth the recipe called for originally.
After it has slow cooked all day, you should be able to peel any excess fat off the roast and then shred with two forks. Don’t trim the fat before cooking. Remember fat is the flavor conductor. You want it to cook the meat all day to add flavor.
The cooked meat will freeze nicely to pull out later or go ahead and make some beef enchiladas and use the meat for tacos or on top of Mexican Risotto.
The recipe is from 303 Simple & Satisfying Recipes which is the combination of three cookbooks from Gooseberry Patch. I will be giving this cookbook away the second week of September 2014. Be sure to check back to register to win and see what other great recipes I made.
- 2-1/2 lb. beef chuck roast trimmed
- 14- oz. can diced tomatoes
- 7- oz. can chipotle sauce or medium red enchilada sauce
- 4- oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 onion slice
- 2 T. chili 9000 from Penzey's or 2 T chili powder and 1 t. cumin
- Place roast in a slow cooker. Top with remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours.
- Once it is completely cooked, remove any excess fat. With 2 forks, shred the beef roast in slow cooker. Add beef broth if there is not much liquid.
- Serve on tortillas with favorite taco toppings, on a bed of lettuce for a salad or in a bowl with Mexican rice.
I received the 303 Simple & Satisfying Recipes for free. The recipe ingredients are all on me. The opinions are all mine.
Affiliate links were used in this post. A portion of purchases made with these links come back to me.