Once in a while I even shock myself with a recipe I create. Let me tell you, these mozzarella stuffed meatballs were one of those creations that I literally could not get enough of when I made them. These mozzarella stuffed meatballs are a must make. Tonight. These can be a low-carb and gluten-free meal or served as spaghetti and meatballs.
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
The cheesy gooeyness of these mozzarella stuffed meatballs is thanks to some mozzarella balls I picked up at Aldi’s. Now, I tried both the fresh mozzarella in marinade and just fresh mozzarella in water. Both were amazing in this recipe. If you are looking for a bit more fat intake because of the ketogenic diet, you should buy the mozzarella marinated in oil and herbs.
Now, to make the meatballs, I make them gluten-free and low-carb by using almond flour or crushed pork rinds for a binder along with parmesan cheese. The almond flour isn’t quite as great of a binder as crackers or breadcrumbs, but it works. In addition, I use an egg, Italian herb seasonings, some spicy Montreal seasoning, and garlic. Then, mix together with your hands to fully incorporate all the ingredients into the meat. Now, you get to wrap each piece of fresh mozzarella with the beef mixture.
Place the assembled stuffed meatball into a cast iron skillet set on a medium-high heat to sear the meatball. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on the top and bottom of the meatball.
Don’t worry about the cheese starting to seep out. It is all good. Also, I think the best meatballs are the meatballs cooked in the sauce. I made some homemade sauce this summer when I had lots of ripe tomatoes. This sauce from Wonderful Life Farm. It is very low in sugar and full of lots of garlic and basil flavor. The downside is you don’t get a ton of sauce from the amount of time and space it takes to make it, but it is still delicious.
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef or pork
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 whole egg
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons spicy Montreal Seasoning
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella balls in marinade or water
- 4 cups spaghetti sauce
- Combine the ground meat, with the almond flour, parmesan cheese, egg, herbs, seasonings, and garlic.
- Take about golf ball size of meat and flatten out and wrap around one piece of fresh mozzarella.
- Place meatballs wrapped around mozzarella in a cast iron skillet.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes on each side. If cheese starts oozing out, turn heat down.
- Turn heat down to simmer and cover with tomato sauce. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with spaghetti noodles or alone. Garnish with parmesan cheese.
Affiliate links were used in this post.
- Roast Beef Hawaiian Roll Sliders – Sandy’s Sandwiches - October 10, 2020
- Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Honey - September 30, 2020
- English Muffin Egg Cups – Individual Breakfast Casseroles - September 27, 2020