As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
When I think of comfort food, I think of these scotcharoos pinwheels. I encountered the rolled up versions of my favorite no-bake treat, scotcharoos, last year. One of my mom’s good friends brought these over for us to eat, and we adult children almost got into a fistfight over the last one sitting in the bottom of the bucket.
These scotcharoos pinwheels combine the crispy rice cereal, peanut butter, sugar, and corn syrup for the base and then topped and rolled with melted butterscotch and chocolate.
Scotcharoos Pinwheels Ingredients
The same ingredients as the standard Stacharoos with the roll-ups. I just go ahead and double the recipe for the roll-ups based on the almost fist fight I was in at home.
- White Corn Syrup
- Peanut Butter
- Rice Cereal
- Chocolate Chips
- Butterscotch Chips
How to Make Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats Rollups
Begin making the scotcharoos pinwheels by combining the peanut butter, corn syrup, and sugar in a large dutch oven over medium heat. As it heats, the peanut butter, syrup, and sugar will become smooth.
I have tried making this by spreading the peanut butter rice krispies out in a jellyroll pan, but I really like spreading it out in three smaller amounts on parchment or wax paper. Flatten it thick and let it cool completely.
While the peanut butter Krispies are cooling, mix together the chocolate chips and the butterscotch chips in a microwave-safe bowl, 30 seconds at a time.
Pour the melted chips over the peanut butter Krispies. Spreading them out over each of the three sections all the way to the edge.
When the chocolate is also cooled, it is time to start rolling the scotcharoos pinwheels.
Start from the edge. It will break a little but just keep rolling.
Then start slicing the pinwheels. I make mine around a half to an inch in width.
Keep slicing and snacking on the end pieces. Those are the best pieces.
These will be easy to stack and take the state fair. Trust me, I know. I fill a large rubbermaid container with 48 scotcharoos pinwheels.
Easy Dessert Recipes
If you want to enjoy the traditional scotcharoos, I got those too. But meanwhile, you may want to just throw these scotcharoos pinwheels together.
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 2 cups corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 12 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 bag chocolate chips, 12-ounce bag
- 1 bag butterscotch chips, 12-ounce bag
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, combine the peanut butter, corn syrup, and sugar. Stir until the mixture is smooth and not at all granular.
- Add the crispy rice cereal four cups at a time, stirring to combine.
- When completely combined, spread out in three piles on parchment or wax paper. Spread out to thin rectangles and let cool.
- In the microwave in a microwaveable bowl, heat the chocolate and butterscotch chips together in 30-second intervals, stirring until completely melted.
- Pour over each of the three peanut butter crispy rice pieces. Spread completely out to the edges.
- When cooled, starting rolling up from one edge until completely rolled up.
- Cut in a half to one-inch slices.
linked to Weekend Potluck