I have a confession. Never have I made ham and beans. My husband always raves about how he loves it, yet not once. So I decided with all this ham, shanks, and hocks in my freezer, it was time to give it a try. In true Beyer Beware fashion, I messed it up according to my husband because I added carrots, celery, and green chilis to my ham and beans. It just seemed too bland without some color and flavor! My version of Instant Pot ham and beans may not be your grandmother's recipe, but it still makes a bowl of comfort when served over a slice of cornbread.
Instant Pot Ham and Beans served over freshly baked cornbread is the ultimate comfort food made in just a fraction of the time compared to a slow cooker. Of course, my version of ham and beans out of the gate are tweaked a bit. I can't just let a traditional recipe be. I have to tweak.
Instant Pot Ham and Beans Ingredients
With school back in full swing, the evening activities are too. The grill is being ignored and the crockpot and Instant Pot are back in heavy rotation. Since I was using up leftovers in the freezer, ham needed to be used up in the freezer. Actually, I had some pork shanks that needed prepared. Between dried great northern beans, pork shanks, celery, carrots, onions, and green chilis, I was on my way to ham and beans.
Begin by rinsing and soaking the beans as you prep the other ingredients. No need for the beans to soak overnight. Chop up the celery, carrots, and onions. Place the Instant pot on saute and pour a tablespoon of oil in the bottom. Stir the vegetables into the oil and saute. While they saute, cut the ham into cubes and add to the Instant Pot.
Over the top of the ham and vegetables, pour two cups of water. Stir in the garlic as well as the chicken Better than Bouillon and green chilis. The green chilis are totally optional, but why not give it a little tiny bit of heat. Then drain the beans and pour them into the pot and stir them to combine. Follow this with any ham bones if you have them. Since I used shanks, I put them in. Then top the Instant Pot off with four more cups of water.
Cancel the saute setting and change to pressure cook on high pressure for 50 minutes. I made this in my [amazon_textlink asin='B07588SJHN' text='Instant Pot Ultra 8-quart' template='ProductLink' store='farmwifedrink-20' marketplace='US' link_id='ac48360e-2402-44a8-a45b-f4e27a44983c'] and can adjust the pressure level. I personally then left for a volleyball game. When the Instant Pot was done cooking it natural released until I got home. Then I finished it with the quick release. It ended up natural releasing for about 20 minutes.
When the lid is off, remove any of the ham bones. If you are not running around like a crazy person in the evenings, make a pan of cornbread while the ham and beans are pressure cooking. I recommend this easy moist cornbread recipe. You will definitely want cornbread to go with the ham and beans.
Yes, just spoon the ham and beans right on over top of the cornbread.
Instant Pot Ham and Beans
- 2 stalks celery
- ⅓ cup carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 cups ham cubes
- 1 tablespoon garlic Better than Bouillon
- 1 tablespoon chicken Better than Bouillon
- 4 ounces green chilis
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and soak the beans while you prep the ingredients and Instant Pot. Chop the celery, carrots, and onions.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute. Add the vegetable oil to the pot and then add the chopped celery, carrots, and onions. Stir in the oil and then add the ham.
- Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Add two cups of water, both Better than Bouillons, and the green chilis. Stir to combine.
- Drain the beans and stir into the Instant Pot. If you have any ham bones, add them now. Top off with the additional four cups of water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cancel the saute setting and set to pressure cook on high for 50 minutes. Lock the lid in place.
- When done cooking, let natural release for 20 minutes and then finish off with quick release.
- Serve with cornbread.
- Spicy Ranch 7-Layer Taco Dip - Single Serving Option - September 6, 2021
- Tomato Basil Sauce - Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe - September 2, 2021
- Cucumbers and Sour Cream - How to Make Cucumber and Sour Cream Salad - July 25, 2021