Cheesy Frosted Cauliflower is a whole head of cauliflower, steamed and then frosted with a combination of mayonnaise and mustard and then covered in cheese before quickly roasting in the oven. This vegetable side dish is pure perfection and so easy to make. It is becoming a staple on our meal plan at least once a week.
Cheese Frosted Cauliflower Ingredients
This cauliflower recipe uses 4 simple ingredients with a fifth optional ingredient to bring some sweetness to the flavors. The ingredients are fridge staples if you are a regular reader on this blog.
- Whole Head of Cauliflower
- Dijon Mustard
- Colby Jack Cheese Slices
- Salt and Pepper
- Honey - Optional
How to Make a Cheesy Steamed Whole Head of Cauliflower
To start making this cheesy frosted cauliflower, cut the leaves out of the bottom of the cauliflower before setting it in the steamer. Don't cut too much of the stem out otherwise the cauliflower will fall apart after it is steamed.
Place the cauliflower in a steamer basket, salt the cauliflower, and then steam for 12-15 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork-tender when you pierce it with a fork. if you do not have a steamer basket, you can place the cauliflower in a large stockpot with water in it and cook this way as well.
Transfer the steamed head of cauliflower into a round 2-3-quart baking dish. Then spread the creamy mustard sauce over the cauliflower. Season with more salt and pepper. Then layer slices of colby jack cheese over the top of the cauliflower.
This was the perfect side dish for the pork chops we had for supper. The frosted cauliflower is great as a potato substitute if you are trying to eat low-carb or keto. Leftover cauliflower also reheats well.
Cheesy Frosted Cauliflower
- Vegetable Steamer
- 1 head cauliflower
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 5 slices colby-jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey optional
- Cut the leaves off the bottom of the cauliflower. Place in the steamer basket with a cup or two of water in the pan. Salt the cauliflower with half the salt. Steam the cauliflower for 12-15 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, mix the mayonnaise and dijon mustard together. Add honey for a sweeter sauce.
- When the cauliflower is fork-tender, remove from the steamer and place in a round baking dish.
- Spread the creamy mustard sauce over the top of the cauliflower. Season with salt and pepper. Then lay the cheese slices over the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes on 350° to melt the cheese.
- Spicy Ranch 7-Layer Taco Dip - Single Serving Option - September 6, 2021
- Tomato Basil Sauce - Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe - September 2, 2021
- Cucumbers and Sour Cream - How to Make Cucumber and Sour Cream Salad - July 25, 2021