How to make mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot is something everyone who owns an instant pot should know how to do since it is the fastest and easiest way to make creamy mashed potatoes. Just a quick 10 minutes in the Instant Pot and you are on the way to the best mashed potatoes.
These potatoes are fast to cook, now granted it does take a bit to get the pot to pressure. However, once they are too pressure the process doesn't need babysitting and the potatoes can be mashed directly in the IP.
What potatoes are best for mashed potatoes?
I have found if you want creamy smooth mashed potatoes, you will want to use good old russet potatoes. The gold potatoes tend to gum up and the red potatoes are better for the skin on, lumpier style mashed potatoes, which I do love for my Abuelo’s Papas con Chile copycat recipe.
In addition to the russet potatoes, I make mashed potatoes with
- Sour cream
- Salt and Pepper
You can easily make loaded mashed potatoes or garlic mashed potatoes with this base recipe for Instant Pot mashed potatoes.
How to Make Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot?
To being making any mashed potatoes, begin by peeling and slicing or dicing the potatoes. The goal is to get the potatoes as uniform in size as you can. Then cover the potatoes with water until you are ready to cook them.
Turn the Instant Pot to manual and high pressure. Pour the potatoes and water into the Instant Pot. Salt the water generously with at least a teaspoon or two of salt. Make sure the potatoes are just covered completely with water.
Set the time to 10 minutes. When the Instant Pot is done pressurizing, quick release the pot and then drain the water off the potatoes.
Return the potatoes directly back to the Instant Pot. Add the butter, sliced in smaller pieces to the potatoes. Now get mashing the potatoes. I use my hand mixer but a hand masher is fine too. Once you have a good mash started, add the milk, slowly. Season with salt. Mix the sour cream in and continue to add the milk until the potatoes reach the consistency your family prefers.
These potatoes are creamy and rich. Add salt to your liking. I am a two teaspoon of the salt person with my potatoes.
Tips for Making Mashed Potatoes
- Use Russet Potatoes for silky smooth mashed potatoes. This recipe can also be made with red-skinned potatoes with the skin on.
- To make loaded mashed potatoes add cream cheese, cheddar cheese, bacon, and chives to the already mashed potatoes.
- For runnier potatoes, add more milk.
How to Use Up Leftover Mashed Potatoes
Got leftover mashed potatoes? No problem! Here are great recipes for leftover mashed potatoes
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups milk divided
- ½ cup sour cream
- Peel and cut potatoes into uniform pieces. Cover with water until ready to make if not making it immediately.
- Pour the potatoes into the Instant Pot. Cover with enough water to just cover the potatoes.
- Set the Instant Pot to manual, high pressure for 10 minutes. Place the lid on the pressure cooker and press start.
- When done pressurizing, quick release. Then drain the water off the potatoes. Place the potatoes back in the Instant Pot.
- Cut the butter up and put in with the potatoes. Begin mashing the potatoes with a hand mixer or hand masher.
- Pour one cup of milk into the potatoes. Warm the milk up to keep the potatoes as hot as possible. Continue to mash.
- Stire in two teaspoons of salt and the sour cream. Continue adding the milk until the potatoes reach the consistency you desire.
- Serve with butter or gravy.
- Arroz Con Pollo - Mexican Chicken and Rice with Queso - March 28, 2021
- Air Fryer Broccoli Recipe- Ninja Foodi Broccoli - March 25, 2021
- Air Fryer Ravioli - How to Make Toasted Ravioli in the Air Fryer - March 13, 2021