It’s that time of the month again…Crazy Cooking Challenge time! This month’s challenge is mashed potatoes. I instantly knew what I want to make. Since I am obsessed with Abuelo’s papas con chile, I knew I wanted to make a copycat recipe. I had seen a version of the copycat recipe on Mommy Travels and was just waiting for the right time to make them. These Mexican mashed potatoes become a staple in our house.
Ingredients for Mexican Mashed Potatoes
Mexican mashed potatoes are the copycat recipe of Abuelo’s papa con chile made with mashed potatoes, garlic, peppers, sour cream, onions, cheese, and more. The ingredients are simple ingredients so don’t be daunted by the list.
- Potatoes – Mashed, you can also use premade mashed potatoes or make your own
- Cream Cheese
- Velveeta Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Peppers – Bell, Jalapeno, and Green Chiles
- Green Onions
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Abuelo’s Papas con Chile
Simply start by boiling red potatoes that have been quartered.
Then prep the rest of the ingredients by dicing up the peppers and onions.
Looking for an entree to make with this papas con chile? Try some carnitas in the crock pot, beer-braised beef fajitas, or even these low-carb sheet pan cheesy chicken fajitas and these Mexican mashed potatoes.
Abuelo’s Papas con Chile - Mexican Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds red potatoes quartered
- 3 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 10 ounces Velveeta cubed
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 diced red bell peppers
- 2-4 ounce cans of chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped jalapeno seeded
- Place cubed potatoes into a pot of water covering completely. Boil potatoes until soft. Drain and return to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients to potatoes. Mash potatoes until all the ingredients are incorporated.