Cucumbers and sour cream salad is a creamy cucumber salad that is tangy with a hint of spice from the combination of cucumbers, onions, sour cream, hot sauce, dill weed, and vinegar. This is an old fashion recipe that I pulled from our Ladies Aid cookbook and of course doctored up a notch with flavor. It was delicious. Garden fresh salads are always the best all summer long.
If you have a glut of cucumbers and have refrigerator pickles lining the shelves of your refrigerator, give this creamy cucumber salad a try. You will not be disappointed. It is simple to put together and a cool, refreshing salad on a hot summer night.
Creamy Cucumber Salad Ingredients
There are many versions of a creamy cucumber salad. This one was chosen because of one spicy ingredient listed in the ingredients.
- Red onions
- Dill weed
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
How to Make Cucumbers and Sour Cream?
To have the best cucumber salad, you will need to start by prepping your cucumbers. Peel partially or completely and then slice with a mandolin. I actually slice them fairly thin, using the middle thickness. Once they are sliced, place the cucumbers in a colander and sprinkle with salt and toss to coat. Place colander over a bowl and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This will pull excess water from the cucumbers to make your salad less liquid. After the chill, rinse the cucumbers and drain well. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, hot sauce, vinegar, dill weed, onion, and fresh ground pepper together with the cucumbers. Garnish with additional dill weed and pepper. Serve cucumbers and sour cream salad immediately.
This creamy cucumber salad is perfect for a side dish for BBQs or a great summer salad for potlucks and pitch-ins.
Side Dishes for BBQs
Cucumber and Sour Cream Salad
- 3 cucumbers
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3-5 dashes hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 red onion
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Peel and slice the cucumbers and place in a colander.
- Sprinkle with salt and coat the cucumbers. Place the colander filled with cucumbers over a bowl to collect the water that drains off and put it in the fridge. Chill for 30 minutes and then rinse the cucumbers and drain off excess water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Mix the sliced onions, sour cream, hot sauce, dill weed, vinegar, and pepper into the cucumbers.
- Serve immediately.
- Sheet Pan Smoked Sausage, Potatoes, and Broccoli Recipe - January 1, 2022
- Peanut Butter Pie Recipe - No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie - December 26, 2021
- Sugar Cookie Fudge - Christmas Cookie Fudge - December 19, 2021