French Onion anything has a way of getting my attention. I love my French onion burgers. French onion soup is always a weakness for me. Anything that uses caramelized onions has my attention and keeps me coming back for more. Caramelized onions inspired my creamy French onion chicken skillet using boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
French Onion Chicken Ingredients
The creamy French onion chicken skillet is one of those recipes I will make over and over again for just myself. The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for the onions to caramelize. But once the onions are caramelized this chicken skillet recipe is quick to make.
The 7 ingredients you need to make this are so basic you should have them on hand.
- Chicken - boneless chicken things are my preference because they pack so much flavor. Boneless chicken breasts can work just as well in this recipe.
- Onion - fresh yellow or sweet onion is the best option.
- Onion soup packet - the powered onion packets are full of flavor and perfect for this recipe.
- Butter - skillet recipes are best made with butter. Bring on the flavor with butter.
- Sour cream - the tang of the sour cream also combines for a punch of flavor with the onion soup.
- Parmesan cheese - the grated green bottle of Parmesan cheese is absolutely fine to use. Also feel free to use shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Cream - half and half cream is the final touch to bring the ingredients together.
How to make creamy French onion boneless skinless chicken thighs recipe
To make the caramelized onions, put four tablespoons of butter in the skillet or braiser with sliced onions over medium-high heat. Stir the onions around the pan let saute for 15-20 minutes to allow the onions to get good an caramelized.
While the onions are caramelizing, rub an envelope of dried onion soup mix on the boneless, skinless chicken thighs. You are more than welcome to use chicken breasts for this recipe as well. The chicken breasts will just need to quick a bit longer.
When the onions are browned, add the chicken to the skillet. For chicken thighs, you won't need any additional butter, but for chicken breasts, you will need additional butter to keep the chicken moist. Place the chicken right on top of the onions.
Cook it for several minutes before flipping the chicken over. When the chicken has cooked on both sides, spread a combination of sour cream and parmesan cheese over the chicken.
This creamy French onion chicken thigh skillet is great over a big heaping pile of pasta or even cauliflower rice if you are eating low carb. I always make pasta in the Instant Pot for my swimmer to have post-swim practice, so most of the family ate the chicken thighs and creamy French onion sauce over spaghetti noodles.
Creamy French Onion Chicken Thigh Skillet
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4-8 tablespoons buttter
- 1 envelope onion soup dry mix
- ½ cup cream, half and half or heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼-1/2 cup water
- Begin by browning the onions in a large skillet with four tablespoons of butter. Cook for 10 minutes over medium to medium-high heat.
- While the onions cook, rub the chicken down with the dry onion mix and let sit until the onions are browned.
- Add the chicken to the onions after about 10 minutes of cooking. If you are using chicken breasts, you may want to add butter so the chicken does not get too dry. The chicken thighs should be fine without more butter.
- Cook the chicken on each side for 4-6 minutes. when chicken is cooked on both sides, spread sour cream over the chicken. Add the water and cream to the pan and then sprinkle the parmesan over the chicken.
- Let simmer for another 8-10 minutes to let the sauce reduce.
- Serve over pasta or rice. For low-carb use cauliflower rice. Make my Instant Pot pasta for a quick pasta.
Shared on Monday Meal Plan