Cheesy hamburger and noodle casserole is an easy dinner recipe made with ground beef, noodles, tomato soup, and cheese for a homemade hamburger helper kind of meal. I am always looking for new recipes for using ground beef and this easy pasta recipe is definitely a winner. The fact that this beef and pasta casserole is done in under 30 minutes is the real reason this recipe is a keeper.
This recipe was an easy creation brought to you by what I had in the pantry one night. Tomato soup is a magical staple item I now always have on hand. This dish is so kid-friendly it will become as popular as spaghetti.
Hamburger and Noodle Casserole Ingredients
This is a simple 5-ingredient ground beef and pasta casserole recipe that is done in under 30 minutes. You just need these pantry staples to make this simple casserole.
- Hamburger - Ground beef is the recommended meat for this recipe but ground turkey, chicken or pork can also be used.
- Noodles or Macaroni - I love mini lasagna noodles for this recipe. Egg noodles can also be used in this recipe as well as macaroni noodles for a hamburger and macaroni casserole.
- Tomato Soup - A can of the tomato soup you prefer. Campbell's soup is my preference. These are the 10.5 ounce cans. Tomato sauce can be used as a substitute.
- Shredded Cheese - Colby Jack or Cheddar cheese will work perfectly for this. you can buy shredded cheese or a block of cheese you shred yourself.
- Steak Seasoning - Steak and chop seasoning is perfect for bold seasoning in this dish. Salt and pepper can also just be used as well.
How to Make Cheesy Hamburger and Noodle Casserole
To make this easy casserole, start by preparing the noodles or pasta like macaroni according to the package directions. In a Dutch oven, large skillet, or braiser, over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef. I love onions so I added onions to the recipe that would not be necessary.
When the beef is cooked completely, drain the grease and return to the pot. Then grab your tomato soup and shredded cheese.
Next, pour the soup into the cooked ground beef. Finally, stir in one cup of shredded cheese. Stir to completely combine all the ingredients and melt the cheese.
Over the top of the combination of pasta and cheesy sauce, cover with an additional cup of cheese.
Then bake the hamburger noodle casserole for 15 minutes in a 350 degree over. The cheese will melt and bubble around the edges.
The cheesy hamburger and noodle casserole will be good served with cheesy garlic bread or some warm beer biscuits.
Change up this recipe to be a variation of hamburger casserole recipes. Here are some ideas to make the ultimate comfort food.
- Add Veggies - Stir in peas, carrots, corn, or even mushrooms to make this casserole with hidden vegetables.
- Taco Casserole - Add taco seasoning instead of steak seasoning to make this a taco hamburger and noodle casserole.
The leftover hamburger and noodle casserole is great for reheating for lunch or dinner the next day. Place the leftovers in an airtight container. Then reheat in the microwave.
Yes, you definitely want to brown the hamburger before making the casserole for quicker baking and ultimate flavors.
This casserole can be frozen before baking to be made at a later date. Wrap the casserole dish in plastic wrap and foil and then place in the freezer for up to three months.
Easy Dinner Recipes
If you love this ground beef casserole, then you will love these easy dinner recipes too.
Cheesy Hamburger and Noodle Casserole
- 8 ounces mini lasagna noodles
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can tomato soup
- 2 cups colby-jack cheese
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 1 cup onions, diced optional
- Prepare the noodles according to package directions.
- While the pasta cooks, brown the ground beef in a stock pot or braiser over medium-high heat with the steak seasoning and onions if you are using onions.
- After the beef is fully cooked, drain and return to pot. Add the tomato soup and one cup of cheese to the ground beef. Stir to combine.
- Top the beef and pasta off with the remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes on 350°.