Keto Taco soup combines hamburger or sausage, cream cheese, and Rotel with seasoning and broth for a low-carb Mexican meal. This keto soup recipe is literally like queso dip you can eat with a spoon without judgment. Whether you are eating low-carb, gluten-free, or a keto diet, this crock pot low-carb taco soup is sure to leave all loving it regardless of if you are on a diet or not.
I love easy recipes that don't take a ton of steps, dishes, or hard-to-find ingredients. I think this is why I was drawn to a simple taco soup recipe. This crock pot low-carb taco soup needs five simple ingredients and a few hours of simmering to give you an amazing soup for lunch or supper. But if you are short on time or an Instant Pot user over a crockpot, I have the Instant Pot Low-Carb Taco Soup too.
Keto Taco Soup Ingredients
Five ingredients. Well, five if you lump spices into one ingredient. Here is the thing with this soup, use the seasonings you like. But here is the base ingredients.
- Ground Pork - Ground pork is my favorite in this dish. If you can't find this you can use a combination of ground beef and chorizo or even just ground beef.
- Rotel - The canned tomatoes and chiles are perfect for this dish. In a pinch, you can also just use canned tomatoes.
- Cream Cheese - Dairy goods are my comfort food on low-carb diets. Full-fat cream cheese is best in this recipe.
- Chicken Broth - Chicken broth or a combination of roasted chicken Better than Bouillon and water works to make this low-carb soup. Beef broth can also be used in place of chicken broth.
- Taco Seasonings - Traditional taco seasoning can carry extra carbs. I use a combination of adobo seasoning, chili powder, and cilantro. The cilantro can be fresh or dried.
- Shredded Cheese - Topping off the taco soup with shredded cheese is the ultimate topping or garnish.
How to make Low-Carb Crock Pot Taco Soup
Start by browning sausage. I recommend a combination of hot sausage or ground pork with hamburger. You can easily use breakfast sausage in this or even all ground beef. While the meat is browning, fill your crock pot with cream cheese, Rotel, and taco seasonings of your choice.
When it comes to taco seasonings, I made up my own with garlic salt, adobo seasoning, and chipotle pepper powder. You could use just taco seasoning in your meat like you are making tacos. However, check the carb count if you are a carb counter!
Mix the browned meat into the cheese, Rotel, and seasoning and spices you had to a crock pot set to high. Stir to combine and then pour in chicken broth. You may want to add a little broth at a time to determine how thin you like your soup. Cook on high for two to three hours or low for four to six hours.
As one of my friends who tried this recipe said, it is like soupy queso! Seriously, does life get any better than eating queso with a spoon and getting away with it? Besides being full of cream cheese, I went ahead and topped it with shredded cheese and stirred in some dried cilantro before serving. Avocado, sour cream and onion would also be a great addition to the top of this soup. If you have fresh cilantro, feel free to use fresh too. If you have people not trying to be low-carb, go ahead and let them use tortilla chips too.
Go ahead and make yourself a bowl of low carb crock pot taco soup. You won't regret it! If you love this recipe, don't miss out on the Instant Pot Low-Carb Taco Soup too.
Variations to Crock Pot Low Carb Taco Soup
This ground beef or pork based taco soup can be changed up to add some variety to your taco soup cravings.
- Chicken Taco Soup - Substitute ground chicken or even shredded chicken for ground beef for a low-carb chicken taco soup.
- Spicy Low-Carb Taco Soup - Add jalapeno slices or a teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the soup to spice it up.
- With Carbs - If you have carb eaters who can live on protein and fat alone, add cooked rice to the soup to make it a bit heartier.
Storing Leftover Low Carb Taco Soup
This soup is great for leftovers. You can absolutely keep this soup in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Refrigerate leftover soup - For up to three days reheat this soup in the microwave in the 30 second increments.
- Freeze low carb taco soup - Place in a large freezer bag to reheat as a large batch or in 1 cup individual servings. Free for up to three months.
Keto Soup Recipe Tips
Just starting on the adventure of low-carb dieting? Here are a few of our tips, meal plans, and recipes.
- Don't Use Low-Fat Ingredients - It is tempting to grab that low-fat cream cheese, but fat is needed to make keto work. In this keto taco soup, it is no different.
- Seasoning can have fillers - Read labels even on your seasonings. A lot of taco seasonings have fillers. This is why making a homemade version might be the best route.
- Xanthan for thickening - If you want to thicken up the taco soup, use xanthan gum powder.
Low-Carb Soup Recipes
Soup is one of the easiest ways to eat low-carb. There is always a keto soup recipe I am inventing to keep things interesting.
Yes! This can easily be made in a dutch oven on the stove top. Follow the instructions the same but cook over low heat with the lid on. Stir every five minutes or so to be sure it is not burning.
Chicken is a great substitute for traditional taco meat soup. Shredded chicken or grilled and cut-up chicken will both work in this recipe.
Crock Pot Low-Carb Taco Soup
- 2 lbs ground pork beef or sausage
- 2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
- 2 10-ounce cans of Rotel
- 1 Tablespoons Adobo Seasoning or Taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 tablespoons Cilantro - fresh or dried optional
- ½ cup shredded cheese for garnish optional
- Season meat with half the adobo or taco seasoning. Brown ground meat until fully cooked.
- While meat is browning, place cream cheese, Rotel, and adobo or taco seasoning into crock pot.
- Drain any grease off of meat and put meat in the crock pot. Stir to combine with cheese and Rotel.
- Pour chicken broth over meat and cheese.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
- Before serving stir in cilantro.
- Garnish with shredded cheese.
- 1 serving is approximately a cup and a half of soup.
- Use Xanthan Gum if you want a thicker soup.
- Spice this low-carb taco soup up with a teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
Affiliate links were used in this post. A percentage of anything purchased from these links comes back to me.