How to make pasta in the Instant Pot is so simple you will want to save these directions until you have them memorized. As if I wasn't obsessed enough with my Instant Pot, the making of Instant Pot pasta has made me a devoted user of the Instant Pot. I have made macaroni, spaghetti, thin spaghetti, and shells in the Instant Pot. Each time I make pasta in the Instant Pot I fall more in love with using it for making pasta.
Can you Cook Pasta in the Instant Pot with Just Water?
While you can probably cook the pasta with just water, you may actually have the pasta stick to the pot and each other as the liquid decreases in the pressure cooker. This is why you will want to use the minimum for the best results for cooking pasta in the Instant Pot
- Water - Chicken broth can be substituted to add more flavor to the pasta. If you don't use broth, add Better than Bouillon. I like the chicken flavor in the pasta.
- Butter - Real butter not margarine to keep the pasta from sticking to each other.
- Pasta - Obviously, right. I have tried this method with gluten-free pasta as well. It works the same way with gluten-free pasta too.
How to make pasta in the Instant Pot
Regardless of the type of pasta, the methodology is the same. To make 8 ounces of pasta you will need 2 cups of broth and 1 tablespoon of butter. I use water with Better than Bouillon rather than broth, but the same methodology is in place for cooking the pasta.
For the cooking time for the pasta, you cut the time in half in the cooking directions and subtract one minute. So, for pasta whose directions say 9-11 minutes, I cut 10 minutes in half and subtract one minute. It will cook for 4 minutes on high pressure.Now, the pasta like this thin spaghetti is ready for whatever you are making. I tend to make macaroni and cheese or cheesy spaghetti. If you want to make a cheesy spaghetti, go ahead and add milk or cream, parmesan, and mozzarella cheese to the Instant Pot Pasta.
Mix the cheese and cream into the pasta and you are ready to serve. I serve this pasta with a great grilled chicken, baked brown sugar and garlic chicken or even these pan-fried pork chops. The cheesy spaghetti pasta is a great side dish that my kids literally could eat their weight in.
I totally recommend using an Instant Pot Ultra. It has more settings and has been my preferred Instant Pot between the Ultra and Duo.
Instant Pot Pasta Recipes
Chicken and Noodles in the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Taco Hamburger Pasta
How to make pasta in the Instant Pot
- 8 ounces pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth or water and Better than Bouillon
- 1 tablespoon butter
To Make Cheesy Spaghetti
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup milk or cream
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- In an Instant Pot, add the pasta, broth, and butter. Make sure the pasta is completely covered with water.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and set to high-pressure cooking for 4 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done with the cooking, quick release until the lid is depressurized.
To make cheesy spaghetti pasta
- Add the cream or milk, parmesan, and mozzarella to the Instant Pot set to warm. Stir to combine until cheese is melted. Season with garlic salt.
- Sheet Pan Pork Tenderloin andPotatoes - May 30, 2023
- Sea Breeze Cocktail - Vodka Cranberry Grapefruit Drink - May 6, 2023
- Italian Coleslaw - April 30, 2023
Everybody always only talks about Spaghetti and elbow noodles for pasta cooking in the Instant pot. What about cooking egg noodles in the instant pot? Egg noodles can used in more recipes than elbow noodles and spaghetti can.
My three main pastas are thin spaghetti, elbow macaroni, and extra wide egg noodles.
You said to use one cup of water to 8 ounces of pasta in your write up and below that, you said two. Which is correct?
Just what I needed. This worked well. Thank you.
I am sad that I am afraid to try your recipe because my last name is Beyer. Do you think my hubby is safe to try this recipe? We don't have the same last name. ;P
Thank you so much for the instructions to prepare pasta in the Instant Pot. I will try this out right away. A real time saver and useful recipe.
Thanks for costing me a pound if pasta and leaving me with no dinner
So if cooking 16oz do I cook for 8 mins or 4?
The quantity won't change the cooking time.
You say 1 cup water/broth per 8oz pasta in your commentary but then the recipe has 2 cups/8 oz pasta. Which is correct?
Hi Rachael, I just went through my post again and didn't realize it said 1 cup in the body. You want to use 2 cups. Make sure the pasta is completely covered in water.
I needed 8 cups of broth to cover 16 ounces of linguine in an 8qt IP Pro. Pasta came out WAY overdone.