I sort of have to sneak anything that might be remotely close to Chinese food onto the table. However, my daughter loves chicken on a stick. So, when I made these spicy Asian chicken kabobs, I left off the simple fact that it might be a smidge close to Chinese. I figured I could tell them once they loved them!
Spicy Asian Chicken Kabobs
I made two versions of the spicy Asian chicken kabobs. One with a marinade from scratch with a few simple ingredients.
And one with a bottle of Panda Express Orange Sauce. If you don't have orange sauces, you could definitely make teriyaki chicken kabobs by marinading in your favorite bottle of teriyaki sauce.
I cut 2 pounds of chicken breast up in two-inch pieces, split them in half and put into two Ziploc bags. Then I mixed together 2 parts balsamic vinegar to 1 part honey and 1 part sriracha hot chili sauce together.
Pour the spicy marinade over one bag of chicken. At the last minute, I also pressed to cloves of garlic into the bag of chicken and marinade also.
I poured about ½ cup of the orange sauce over the other bag of chicken. Refrigerate for a few hours. About 30 minutes before grill time I grabbed some veggies out of the fridge and chunked them up. I used a red bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and mushrooms. Use what you have on hand.
Once the veggies are cut into chunks, pull the chicken out and put the veggies and chicken on stainless steel shish kabob skewers to make these spicy Chinese Chicken Kabobs. I start with a pepper closest to the handle followed by a piece of chicken and two pieces of veggies and then chicken again. I like every piece of vegetable to be touching the chicken.
Don't discard the homemade spicy Asian marinade. Instead, pour into a small pan and reduce over a medium-low heat to make into a glaze.
Sprinkle the spicy Asian skewers with sesame seeds and they are ready to hit the grill.
Spread sauce on the kabobs before putting on the grill.
Grill on a medium-low heat, turning every 6-7 minutes till chicken and veggies are cooked through. Then remove from the grill and enjoy!
Serve over rice or alone. Either way, make sure you have extra sauce to dip everything into while you eat.
Want a beef kabob instead? Check out this great teriyaki beef kabob recipe.
More Kabob Recipes
Make all things kabobs or meat on skewers with these kabob recipes.
Spicy Asian Chicken Kabobs
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup Sriracha Hot chili sauce
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 1 zucchini cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion cut into eighths
- 8 button mushrooms halved
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Mix together, vinegar, honey, hot sauce, and garlic. Pour over chicken in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate for several hours.
- Skewer vegetables and chicken beginning with a pepper, followed by a chicken, two vegetables, and chicken, repeat till the end of the kabob.
- Reserve chicken marinade and pour into a small saucepan and reduce over a medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes till it thickens to a glaze.
- Sprinkle kabobs with sesame seeds and brush on reduce glaze.
- Place on grill over a medium heat, turning every 6-7 minutes till vegetables and chicken are fully cooked.
Have a great recipe from the 4th of July to share? Link up your latest favorite!
Affiliate links were used in this post.