The Crock Pot Italian chicken was easy to make and a hit with the kids. School is back in full swing and I am back having my love affair with my crock pot. A simple crock pot Italian chicken recipe with three ingredients of banana peppers, Italian seasoning, and chicken thighs that cooks all day in the crockpot for a perfect dinner entree on a busy weeknight.
Crock Pot Italian Chicken Ingredients
To make this super easy crock pot chicken recipe you will be shocked at how easy the ingredients for this Italian chicken are. To make this easy crock pot chicken thigh recipe you will need:
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs - boneless skinless chicken breasts will work too. The fat from the chicken thighs give extra flavor to the shredded chicken.
- Italian Dressing Mix - While the bottle of Italian dressing will also work, I prefer Italian dressing seasoning for most recipes so I can control the liquid
- Jar of Banana Pepper Rings - This recipe is so similar to my Italian Beef recipe, however, instead of a beer, I add banana pepper rings and juice. If you don't like this flavor, beer is a great substitute.
- Onions and Garlic - You can also toss in minced cloves of garlic and diced onions for even more flavors.
I have a new favorite that can easily be used in "other" dishes to freeze or to eat later in the week. Especially since the husband still considers chicken to be a vegetarian meal. Start of course with the basics...
I use a combination of chicken breast and thighs for anything I do that is "slow roasted." I think white meat is so dry. Place a pound of breasts and thighs in the bottom of the crock pot.
Then the remaining ingredients are two items you can buy at Aldi's. A jar of pepper rings and two envelopes of Italian seasoning mix. Dump the pepper rings, juice and all on top of the chicken followed by the Italian mix. Pour both envelopes on and around the chicken.
Then let it cook on low for 8+ hours or high for at least 4-6 hours. When you remove the lid there will seem like a lot of liquid/broth, especially if you put frozen chicken in the crock pot. This isn't a bad thing.
If you used chicken with bones still or skin, remove bones and skin now. Then shred the chicken with two forks and put the crock pot Italian chicken on low till you are ready to eat. If there was not a lot of liquid, add a little chicken broth or water.
This low carb recipe chicken recipe is done
Variations to Italian Chicken
This is a great base recipe and here are ways to doctor it up or differently.
- Creamy Italian Chicken - Add a can of cream of chicken soup to the ingredients for a creamy version of this recipe.
- Zesty Italian Chicken - Toss in some red pepper flakes to take the spice up a notch for this slow-cooked chicken.
- Cheesy Italian Chicken - After the chicken is shredded add in four ounces of cream cheese and a third of a cup of parmesan cheese.
What to serve with the Italian Chicken?
While this Italian Chicken is fantastic as a sandwich, here are other ideas.
It would be great on a bed of romaine with feta cheese, peppers and olives too.
Or even on top of Italian nachos.
Serve on a big bed pasta like our white spaghetti noodles or with pasta and alfredo sauce.
Top this butternut squash risotto or creamy parmesan rice with the Italian Chicken.
The list goes on and on for how I am going to use this chicken.
Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
Crock Pot Italian Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 12 oz jar of pepper rings
- 2 envelopes Italian Salad Dressing Mix
- Put chicken in the bottom of a crock pot. Pour pepper rings with juice over chicken. Sprinkle Italian mix over chicken. Cook on low for 8+ hours or on high for 4+ hours.
- After chicken has cooked, remove any bones or skin and shred. Keep on low till ready to eat. Add chicken broth or water if chicken seems to be drying out.
- Serve on buns or over pasta
What do you guys have cooking this week? Happy Labor Day!!