My family is obsessed with Hamburger Helper. I mean here I am killing it making recipes for a food blog and my kids are just as happy with a box of Hamburger Helper. The impatient teenage boy is inconvenienced by the time it takes. I decided I could do this go-to staple faster and tastier in the Instant Pot. Nailed it.
I judge the success of a dish based on how many times the teenager comes back for more. And he kept coming back for more and never once asked me for a grilled cheese.
Instant Pot Hamburger Taco Mac Ingredients
Seriously, I am a big, big fan of recipes that require only five basic ingredients plus water. What you need to make this homemade hamburger helper taco mac and cheese recipe are the following ingredients:
- Milk - whatever milk your family drinks will work just fine in this recipe.
- Pasta - Any shape of pasta will work but shells or macaroni are my favorite shapes to use.
- Ground beef - Hamburger is what hamburger helper calls for, but any ground meat will technically work.
- Enchilada Sauce - the red enchilada sauce is what I think works best, but there is no reason you cannot use the green sauce.
- Cheese - Mexican blend of shredded cheese or a Colby Jack will work in this recipe. If you want to spice it up, grab the pepper Jack cheese.
- Better than Bouillon in the water
How to make Hamburger Helper in the Instant Pot
Begin by adding the ground beef to the Instant Pot set to saute.
When the hamburger is browning, add the Better than Boullion. Stir to combine. When the meat is almost fully browned, add the pasta, a can of enchilada sauce, a cup and a half of water and an enchilada can full of milk. Stir to combine.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot. Set the Instant Pot to off and then turn it to manual setting and set for 4 minutes. Then when the cooking time expires, quick release and when the Instant Pot has depressurized, add the shredded cheese and stir to combine.
Instant Pot Taco Hamburger Pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Beef Flavored
- 10 ounce can enchilada Sauce
- 2 cups pasta shells
- 1 enchilada can full of milk
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- salt and pepper
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and brown beef. Add the beef flavored Better Than Bouillon as the beef browns.
- When beef is almost cooked, add the pasta, enchilada sauce, water, and milk to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Switch the Instant Pot off and then back on to manual. Set the Instant Pot to 4 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot completes the cooking, turn the valve to quick release. Then remove the lid and stir the cheese into the meat and pasta. Season with salt and pepper to flavor.
- Serve with sour cream and extra shredded cheese.
Shared on Weekend Potluck