Poppy seed freezer ham sandwiches are simple frozen ham sandwiches that can be pulled out for busy weeknight meals or even meals on the go when you just have a few minutes to heat something up. Growing up my mom and dad would make ham sandwiches and freeze them for busy days when we were all on the run. I loved them. They had lots of onions, mustard, butter and SWISS CHEESE!! I have started to make them and throw them in the freezer for quick meals.
Can you freeze ham sandwiches? Absolutely! And here is what you need to do to freeze ham and cheese sandwiches?
Poppy Seed Freezer Ham Sandwiches Ingredients
- 2 sticks butter
- 3 tsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp. mustard
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 pkg. hamburger buns
- 1 lb. sliced ham
- 16 slices of Swiss cheese
Can you Freeze Ham and Cheese Sandwiches? Here is How.
Use a large skillet on medium heat to melt butter. Add Worcestershire sauce, mustard and chopped onions. (Let's be honest, I don't measure the ingredients. I add till it looks good.) Sauté till onions are cooked. Add poppy seeds. Remove from heat.
While the onions are cooking, layout buns. Place ham and cheese on one side of the half bun.
If you are Aldi's shoppers, the ham they sell there is perfect for this recipe. I put four slices on each sammy.
Once the onion-poppy seed mixture is done, add it to the other half of the bun.
I like a lot of toppings. It makes an ooey-gooey mess when you make them.
Hawaiian Roll Ham Sandwiches
- 16 Hamburger buns
- 1 onion minced or grated with food chopper
- 1 stick butter
- 3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 pound deli ham
- 16 slices Swiss cheese
- Melt butter in a small skillet. Once melted add onions.
- When onions begin to soften add mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and poppy seeds into onions and butter. Simmer for two to three minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, layout buns. Place ham and cheese on one side of the half bun.
- Once the onion-poppy seed mixture is done, add it to the other half of the bun.
- To freeze, you have several options. I now just put each sandwich in an individual freezer bag. My parents would wrap the sandwiches in saran wrap and put the sandwiches into the bun bags to freeze. You do what works for you.
- To cook, microwave for 1 minute to a minute 30 seconds on medium high heat. You can also bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven on 425 heat. I would recommend thawing the sandwiches for the oven and transfer the sandwich to aluminum foil wrap.