Separate the beef and brown over a medium low heat.
When the beef is completely cooked, drain the grease off and set aside. I will be measuring out two cups of beef for the lasagna.
Mix the sauce and tomatoes together. Add 1/2 cup of water as well.
While the spaghetti sauce has seasoning, I add a few to kick it up just a notch. 1/2 teaspoon of parsley and Italian seasoning each.
I also tossed 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in for good cause.
Mix in the meat and some sauted mushrooms if you are the mushroom type.
Two, steps down, cheese to go. Grab some goodies. Ricotta. A 15 or 16 ounce container.
A five or six ounce container of Parmesan cheese.
Mix the ricotta together with 1/4 cup of milk and one egg.
Mix together until smooth.
Then add two cups of shredded mozzarella and the shredded Parmesan. Mix completely.
Now for the layering. Start by putting a heaping cup of meat sauce on the bottom of your crock pot.
Then grab your lasagna noodles. I had standard, old noodles. Not the no boil kind. I didn’t cook them. Put them in uncooked. It really is that easy.
With my oval crock, I can fit a full length one down the middle. I break the other ones in pieces and fit them around the edges.
Layer a third of your cheese mixture over the noodles, spreading out evenly.
The pour about a cup and a half over the cheese and start the noodles again. You are going to have three layers of noodles and cheese. Start with sauce. End with sauce.
No, since I am a bit partial to the dairy industry, I grabbed more mozzarella and layer it over the top of the last layer of sauce.
Cook on low for about 4 hours. Like most things in a crock pot, it can be fudged on the time. I think ours might have gone a bit more like 5 hours. Just makes the cheese a bit more brown.
I cut the lasagna into about 10-12 pieces.
Perfection! And of course I made Italian Cheesy Loaf.
- 1 lb. hamburger, browned
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 8 oz. mushrooms, optional
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce + ½ cup water
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. dried parsley
- salt and peper to taste
- 16 oz. of ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 5 oz. shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Lasagna noodles
- Brown hamburger, onions and garlic. Drain grease and set aside.
- Mix spaghetti sauce, water, and tomatoes together in a bowl. Add Italian seasonings, parsley, and salt and pepper. Dump meat into sauce. Add mushrooms if using them.
- Combine ricotta cheese, milk and egg together. Add parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, mixing completely.
- Line bottom of crock pot with 1 cup sauce.
- Place uncooked noodles on top of sauce, completely covering bottom. The noodles may be overlapped. Add cheese mixture on top of noodles. Top with 1½ cups of sauce. Repeat two more times. End with sauce. Add a handful of cheese to the top.
- Cook for 4 hours on low heat.
Got a hunk of meat recipe? Do share!