One of the best parts of summer has got to be the fresh vegetables everywhere. I love being able to just whip a salad together with what I have. So, this week, I bring you my blackened chicken Mexican salad. But, the dressing is really the highlight!
I used fish for the salad because I had some frozen blue hake in the freezer that was perfect for the grill. Don’t have fish, use chicken or shrimp. I heavily seasoned the fish with a cajun seasoning and put the fish on a piece of aluminum that I sprayed with some cooking spray over indirect heat on the grill.
I cooked the fish about 4 minutes on each side. Watch the fish. It can over cook quickly. Once the fish was on the grill, I threw the dressing together quickly. And it is quick to make. Start by squeezing the juice from 2 limes into a measuring cup. You want about 1/4 cup of juice. Follow that up by pouring 1/2 cup of light olive oil or vegetable oil in with the juice.
Then put the lid on the food processor and turn the food processor on. Slowly pour the lime juice and oil through the lid of the food processor. Once it was all incorporated, stop the food processor. I tasted it with my finger to gauge how much salt and pepper to add to my liking. Do the same for your taste. I store my dressing in a pint ball jar. Perfect for shaking it up when it separates.
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, torn
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced or chopped
- 2-3 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 ear of sweet corn per person, cut
- Other veggies you have on hand can be added or substituted
- 1 piece of fish or chicken per person
- Cajun or Blacken seasoning
- ¼ cup of lime juice 1-2 limes, juiced
- ½ -3/4 cup light oil like light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 handful of cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pat fish or chicken with dry paper towel, then liberally cover with seasoning. Spray aluminum foil with cooking spray, place on grill over indirect heat and then gently add fish to grill.
- Cook for approximately 3-4 minutes, until bottom layer of fish is cooked and looks “white”. Gently turn fish and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until fish is completely cooked through and flaky.
- Combine veggies to make salad, top with fish and Cilantro Lime Dressing and enjoy.
- Place cilantro, garlic and honey in food processor. Place lid on and begin pulsing. Pour oil and lime juice slowly into food processor. Stop once it is all incorporated. Add salt and pepper to your taste preferences.
Got a great recipe, be sure to link it up! Love to pin my new recipes to try!