30-minute chicken tortilla soup is by far one of my family's favorite chicken soups and is the copycat recipe of the restaurant Max and Erma's chicken tortilla soup. This chicken tortilla soup is made with lots of cheese including velveeta, grilled chicken, and has lots of flavor from onions, garlic, green chilis and fire roasted tomatoes. Topping it off with some air fried tortilla strips and cheese just makes this soup so over the top. But my favorite part is really the fact that I can make it in 30 minutes.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Ingredients
There are many variations and versions to this recipe. A lot of recipes I looked at use 6 cans of cream of something soup. I decided I could figure out how to make this without so much premade soups. The recipe creation worked like a dream.
Here are the ingredients I used for my Max copycat recipe of chicken tortilla soup:
- Diced cooked chicken
- Chicken Base
- Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
- Green Chilis
- Chipotle Powder
- Adobo Seasoning
- Smoked Paprika
- Cream of Chicken Soup
How to Make 30-Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
Begin making this soup by dicing onions and garlic and adding them to your favorite soup pot or Dutch oven with butter. Saute for several minutes until they start to soften. Then add the chicken base to the onions and butter to the mix. Next, add the flour to the pot to make a roux.
Stir to form the roux and then start adding the water and milk to the roux to make the base for the soup. Alternate between the water and milk.
When the liquid is all added and it begins to boil, stir in the cubed cooked chicken. Then follow that with the tomatoes, chilis, cream of cheddar soup, and seasonings.
Stir to completely combine and then drop the cubed or shredded velveeta into the soup. Continue stirring until the cheese is completely melted.
The finished product of this 30-minute chicken tortilla soup is just like a queso soup. It is spectacularly delicious. But to take it up a notch, I totally recommend making some tortilla strips.
How to Make Crispy Tortilla Strips in the Air Fryer
I have found the low-carb tortillas get crispier for this. And we like crispy tortilla strips. Start by using a pizza cutter to cut the tortillas into strips.
Then melt butter to drench the tortilla strips in before dropping into the air fryer.
Then air fry them on 400° for 5 minutes or until crispy to your liking.
Then you have the most amazing crispy tortilla soup toppings.
Low-Carb Soup Recipes
Easy Soup Recipes
Max and Erma's Tortilla Soup Copycat Recipe
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 can cream of cheddar soup
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 ounces green chilis
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pwder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 ounces velveeta cheese
- 4 tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Start by sauteing the onions and garlic in butter. After it has cooked for several minutes and the onions have softened, stir in the flour.
- Next stir in the chicken base. Then slowly add the water and milk.
- To the mixture stir in the cooked and diced chicken into the base. Next, add the canned ingredients of soup, tomatoes, and green chilis.
- Stir the seasonings and velveeta into the mix. Cubed or shred the velveeta. Stir until melted.
- While the soup simmers, cut the tortillas into strips.
- Dip the cut strips into the melted two tablespoons of butter and air fry on 400° for five minutes.
- Serve the soup with shredded cheese, tortilla strips, and cilantro.
Shared on Weekend Potluck
- Arroz Con Pollo - Mexican Chicken and Rice with Queso - March 28, 2021
- Air Fryer Broccoli Recipe- Ninja Foodi Broccoli - March 25, 2021
- Air Fryer Ravioli - How to Make Toasted Ravioli in the Air Fryer - March 13, 2021