Crock Pot French Onion Beef Stew is a hearty French onion soup recipe that combines the rich flavors from the beef and caramelized onions for a buttery soup topped off with crusty bread or croutons and cheese. I am straight obsessed with French onion soup but know to make it a full meal it has to be a little bit more hearty for my athletes. Traditional beef stew isn't really my jam either. So beef stew meat ends up in the bottom of my freezer. But, now I have my go-to beef stew recipe with this French onion beef stew.
While this crock pot beef stew is not a dump and go recipe, the extra work to get it ready for the crock pot was well worth it. Do not let this scare you from making it. There is nothing difficult in the making of this French onion beef soup.
French Onion Beef Stew Ingredients
The ingredients to make this buttery French onion beef stew is made with the unique combination of beef stew meat with a french onion soup.
The ingredients to make this French Onion Beef Stew are:
- Stew Meat
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Canned French Onion Soup
- Dried Thyme
- Bread slices
- Garlic Salt
- Texas Toast Garlic Croutons
Then for the cheese, get sliced or shredded
- Italian blend
How to Make Crock Pot French Onion Beef Stew
Begin making this French onion soup by seasoning the beef stew meat with a steak seasoning of your liking.
Then melt butter in a cast iron skillet and brown the stew meat. Cook the meat until all sides are browned. Let the edges sear or brown to help enhance the flavors.
When the meat is browned, dump it into the crock pot and then dump the canned French onion soup over the stew meat. Then begin making the caramelized onions for the soup.
Slice the onions and then add them to the same skillet you browned the stew meat in. Add more butter to the skillet. Begin letting the onions saute and brown.
When the edges begin to brown, add brown sugar to the onions and stir to coat the onions. Sprinkle the onions with, minced garlic, dried thyme and paprika. Let saute for another minute before adding water to help deglaze the castiron skillet. Then transfer to the crock pot with the stew meat.
Cover the onions in beef broth and stir to combine the onions and beef stew. Cover the crock pot and cook for 6-8 hours on low. If it cooks longer, it will be fine. The meat may start to shredded, but the flavors will just continue to develop.
Before serving make the garlic toast with the bread, butter, and garlic salt. Using garlic croutons also works perfectly to top this soup off if you want an easier way to make this French onion beef stew. You can use the English muffin garlic bread technique to make your garlic toast with sliced bread.
Stir the soup to get all the flavors spread throughout the soup. Then spoon into bowls.
This beef stew without a bread topping is also very good if you are eating a lower carb diet. Just top off with the cheese and enjoy.
However, if you want the full French onion soup experience go ahead and top your soup off with the bread or croutons.
What to use to Top French Onion Soup
Then top the bread off with the cheese. Now, you can either through this back under the broiler to melt the cheese or eat immediately.
Hearty Soup Recipes
Crock Pot French Onion Beef Stew
- Crock Pot
- 2 pounds stew meat
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 18 ounce can of French Onion Soup 2 - 10 ounce cans can also be used
- 4 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups beef broth
- 8 slices bread
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups Italian blend or Swiss cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Begin by coating the stew meat in the steak seasoning and sauteing in two tablespoons of butter in a cast-iron skillet. Cook until each edge of the beef is browned. Then dump in the crock pot.
- Pour the canned French onion soup over the meat. Turn the crock pot to low and cover.
- Begin making the caramelized onions by melting 4 tablespoons of butter in the cast iron skillet used with the beef. Slice the onions and put them in the skillet. Saute until the edges begin to brown. Add the garlic to the onions. Stir in the brown sugar. And let glaze the onions for a minute or two. Stir the thyme and paprika into the onoins and garlic.
- Then deglaze the pan by pouring a ¼ to ½ cup water over the onions. Transfer the onions to the crock pot.
- Stir the onions and stew meat together. Pour the beef broth over the top of the beef and onions until completely covered. The entire four cups of beef broth may not be needed.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Before serving the soup, make the garlic toast by buttering both sides of the bread with the remaining two tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with garlic salt and broil both sides in the oven.
- Spoon the soup into bowls, place a piece of toast over the soup. Top with the shredded cheese.