Leftovers are always in my fridge. I don't know about you, but my family doesn't love eating the same thing two days in a row. For leftover chicken, this easy King Ranch Chicken Casserole is a great recipe. The bonus with this recipe is it can also be made quickly with a rotisserie chicken or slow-cooked chicken as well.
Like the ravioli casserole, this was an easy recipe with standard ingredients that most people have on hand. I only made half of this recipe for us. I wasn't sure how it would freeze with the tortilla chips in it. If you have ever frozen a recipe like this, let me know how it worked!
Kickin' King Ranch Chicken Casserole
This casserole called for cooked cubed chicken. This momma stopped and bought a rotisserie chicken on the way home to make the chicken cooking faster:)
I pulled the skin off the chicken and shredded the chicken. I used the entire breast and also the thighs. The kids kidnapped the drumsticks for an appetizer.
I then added the cream of mushroom and chicken soup, Rotelle, and spices. I left the water out of the recipe. The mixture seemed pretty moist without the water.
Mixed it all together before starting on the layers in the casserole dish.
Now the recipe calls for two bags of tortilla chips. I assumed I would need a whole bag for half the recipe. I by no means needed even a half of a bag for the bottom of a two-quart casserole dish.
Once one layer of chips is down, pour the chicken mixture over the chips.
Cover the casserole with a cup and a half to two cups of shredded cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until bubbly.
The Kickin' Ranch Chicken Casserole recipe has a little heat to it with the chili powder, which we loved. However, if you are a family that doesn't like a lot of heat, then you may want to cut back on the chili powder. But, boy is it good. We ate it with some of the tortilla chips that were left.
Easy Chicken Recipes
Kickin’ King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 3-4 chicken breasts or thighs shredded or cubed
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can Rotelle 10 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 bag of tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded colby jack
- Shred or cube 3-4 cooked chicken breasts or thighs that have had the skin removed.
- Add the soups, Rotelle, and seasonings to the chicken in a large bowl and mix together.
- Put a single layer of tortilla chips in the bottom of an ungreased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Pour the chicken filling over the chips, covering completely.
- Sprinkle the chicken filling with the shredded cheese to cover completely.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until casserole is bubbly.
What do you have cooking this week? Don't forget to go register for the 101 Cozy Casseroles cookbook too!