Sweet potato hash with sausage and eggs is a hearty breakfast skillet made with diced sweet potatoes, spicy sausage, onions, and poblano peppers with fried or poached eggs over the top. To take this dish up a notch you can top off with Hollandaise or parmesan cheese. You will be wanting to make this breakfast every day or at least reheating the leftovers every day.
Sweet Potato Hash with sausage and eggs is a meal I had while on a girl's weekend up in Petosky, Michigan last fall. I literally have dreams about this dish. I have recreated it home a couple of times just to relive the memories of that weekend and that dish. Yes, I dream about food.
Sweet Potato Hash Ingredients
While you can make this with the basic two ingredients in the name of the recipe, I of course doctor it up.
Here are the ingredients used in this sweet potato hash.
- Sweet potatoes - While this recipe is amazing with sweet potatoes it can also be made with white potatoes. Both ways the potatoes need peeled and cubed.
- Hot sausage - Hot sausage, chorizo or ground pork with spices added are perfect. Traditional breakfast sausage will work just fine too.
- Onions - purple for color but yellow, white, or sweet also can be used in this hash recipe.
- Poblano peppers - these are totally optional, but if you aren't cooking with poblano peppers, you are missing out. Bell peppers will work just fine too.
- Eggs - I love has topped off with eggs, but this isn't required. A lot of my friends don't live eggs. Leave them off if you don't love eggs.
- Seasonings and herbs - salt, pepper, and sage
How to Make Sweet Potato Hash
Start making this sweet potato hash by peeling and dicing the potatoes. Then put the sweet potatoes in a hot skillet with some extra virgin olive oil.
Saute the potatoes for about ten minutes and then add the sausage to the potatoes. Continue to cook until the pork is almost fully cooked. Then add the roughly chopped onions and poblano peppers. If you don't like onions or peppers, do not feel obligated to put them in. This hash will still be full of flavor. Also, feel free to add other vegetables to the skillet. Here are some ideas on how to have variations to your hash.
Season the sweet potato hash skillet with salt, pepper, and some ground sage. Stir and continue to cook until the potatoes are soft. Then over the sweet potatoes, sausage, onions, and poblano peppers crack the eggs. Turn the heat down and cover the pan with a lid to cook the eggs.
The eggs will cook in about 7 minutes if you want runny eggs. Cook longer for hard yolks.
This hash is full of flavors and texture that will keep you dreaming about this sweet potato hash with sausage and eggs. Brunches were made of hashes like this one.
Crustless Bacon and Spinach Quiche
Sweet Potato Hash with Sausage and Eggs
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 pound spicy sausage
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 red onion
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Start by peeling the sweet potatoes and then cubing them. Heat a skillet with the oil and put the sweet potatoes into the skillet.
- Cook the sweet potatoes for about 10 minutes and then add the sausage. Cook until almost cooked and then add the onions and peppers. Season with sage, salt and pepper.
- When the onions just begin to soften, crack four eggs over the hash. Cover the skillet and cook the eggs over a low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with one egg for each person.
- Old Fashioned Strawberry Tapioca Salad - Pink Fluff - March 5, 2023
- Arroz Con Carne Molida Recipe - Mexican Rice with Ground Beef Skillet - February 27, 2023
- Baked Tortellini with Meat Sauce - February 19, 2023