As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lemon ricotta pancakes are fluffy, citrusy buttermilk pancakes made with ricotta, buttermilk, lemon zest and juice to fill these pancakes with a flavor and texture like no other. When I made these at home I asked my kids what they would like on their pancakes – butter, powdered sugar, berries, or syrup – and they said yes, all of that. These pancakes should be made on Sunday since they will be close to a religious experience.
There was this time in my life I spent four days in Napa and Sonoma and ate multiple times at a little diner called the Alexis Baking Company. On that menu were these lemon ricotta pancakes drenched fresh berries and powdered sugar. I have dreamt of these pancakes, they were that good.
Lemon Ricotta Pancake Ingredients
- baking powder
To make these pancakes use two bowls. In one bowl mix the dry ingredients together. Set aside until the wet ingredients are mixed together. In a larger bowl, combine the ricotta, buttermilk, eggs, oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
Zesting a lemon can be frustrating. A zester with two small holes makes if feel like you will zest a lemon for 8 years. One with two big holes will feel like you are eating the whole peel. The one I used was the perfect zester.
Do not ever over stir batter, even this batter. Mix until just combined. Then let the batter sit for several minutes before making the pancakes. Heat the griddle while the batter is resting. I get the griddle hot to 350° and then turn it back down to 300° once I pour the batter on the griddle.
My griddle has a spot closer to the power that is hotter than the end farthest from the power. I start pouring the pancakes out on the cooler end of the griddle.
Cook the pancakes for about two to two and a half minutes on the original side. Then flip the pancakes and cook for another minute or two. These are thick pancakes so you will want to cook them longer than you think you should. Hence the reason to drop that temperature so the outside doesn’t burn.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups buttermilk
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 cups fresh berries
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- maple syrup
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Sift the ingredients.
- Mix the buttermilk, ricotta, eggs, vanilla, oil, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice together. Then mix the dry ingredients together with the wet ingredients. Mix to just barely combine.
- Let set for several meetings and begin heating your griddle. Heat the griddle to 350°, then spray with cooking spray. Pour the pancake batter onto the griddle and then turn the temperature down to 300°.
- Cook on the first side for 2-3 minutes. Then flip and cook on the other side for a minute or two.
- Serve with butter, sifted powdered sugar, berries, and maple syrup.
Share on weekend potluck