This low carb crock pot pizza casserole is a new favorite at my house. A recipe inspired by Aunt Lou’s Crustless Pizza Casserole over on Recipes That Crock.
Here is the thing about this recipe, I can make it after work, put it in the casserole crock pot, then go run around fetching children from practices and activities and be back home with this ready to go. Now, I get that I could set the timer on my oven for this too. BUT, then the whole dang house will be hot. No thanks, especially in the middle of the summer.
Low-Carb Crock Pot Pizza Casserole
One of the reasons I was toying with the recipe, is I really like to combine ground pork and beef in most of my recipes. And these days, one pound of meat is never enough for our family. So, I use one pound ground pork with one pound of ground beef and then add the pizza seasoning I love from Penzy’s Spices.
Browning the meat is the most time consuming part of this whole recipe, especially if your ground meat is frozen. I add the seasoning while the meat is browning. I also added a few more “toppings” to the meat before transferring to the crock pot. Our family is more like a supreme pizza kind of family. So, I loaded up the meat with lots of peppers and onions. I really wanted to add black olives too. But, my kids were watching. Add what ever toppings you like on your pizza to the browned meat and let cook for a few minutes, mainly to get some the water cooked out of the veggies.
Now, I don’t know about you, but I love mushrooms on my pizza. My girl eats pretty much everything except mushrooms. She just doesn’t like mushrooms. So we compromise on this recipe. We put mushrooms on just part of the casserole instead of mixing the mushrooms in with the other veggies.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoon pizza seasoning
- 1 cup diced peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms or other pizza toppings
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 30 pepperoni slices
- Brown ground meats with seasonings with pizza seasoning over medium heat.
- Add veggies or pizza toppings besides pepperoni for 2-3 minutes till moisture is cooked out. Stir in drained diced tomatoes.
- Pour meat into casserole crock pot. Spread out over the crock pot.
- Pour sauce over meat and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Top with pepperonis. You have two extras - enjoy sampling.
- Put the lid on and cook for two hours on high or 3-4 hours on low.
For other great crock pot recipes visit the Whatch Crockin’ Party.
Be sure to also check out The Weekend Potluck for other great recipes.