This low carb crock pot pizza casserole is a new favorite pizza recipe even for the folks not eating low-carb since it is full of a lot of meat, cheese, and flavor no one misses the crust or pasta in this crustless pizza casserole. this low-carb pizza recipe inspired by Aunt Lou's Crock Pot Crustless Pizza Casserole over on Recipes That Crock. Our version of low-carb pizza casserole is completely loaded with meat!
Here is the thing about this recipe, I can make it after work, put it in the casserole crock pot, then go run around fetching children from practices and activities and be back home with this ready to go. Now, I get that I could set the timer on my oven for this too. BUT, then the whole dang house will be hot. No thanks, especially in the middle of the summer.
One of the reasons I was toying with the recipe, is I really like to combine ground pork and beef in most of my recipes. And these days, one pound of meat is never enough for our family.
The ingredients I used to make this low-carb pizza
- Sausage - Actually for a sausage pizza that is crustless, your best bet is using ground pork and pound of ground beef
- pizza seasoning - I love from Penzy's Spices and they have a great pizza seasoning.
- pepperoni - Pork based pepperoni is my preference, but you are free to use turkey pepperoni too. If you don't like pepperoni, leave it off.
- Veggies - onions, peppers, mushrooms - Add as many vegetables as you like olives would be good too
- Sauce - low-carb pizza sauce or tomato paste that has no sugar added. You can add herbs and spices to plain tomato sauce to make it more flavorful.
- Cheese - Mozzarella or Italian shredded cheeses. You will want lots of cheese.
How to Make Low-Carb Pizza in the Casserole Crock Pot
Browning the meat is the most time-consuming part of this whole recipe, especially if your ground meat is frozen. I add the seasoning while the meat is browning. I also added a few more "toppings" to the meat before transferring to the crock pot. Our family is more like a supreme pizza kind of family.So, I loaded up the meat with lots of peppers and onions. I really wanted to add black olives too. But, my kids were watching. Add whatever toppings you like on your pizza to the browned meat and let cook for a few minutes, mainly to get some the water cooked out of the veggies.
Now, I don't know about you, but I love mushrooms on my pizza. My girl eats pretty much everything except mushrooms. She just doesn't like mushrooms. So we compromise on this recipe. We put mushrooms on just part of the casserole instead of mixing the mushrooms in with the other veggies.
Tips for Making Crock Pot Low-Carb Pizza Casserole
- Use the same ingredients you like on a pizza in this pizza casserole. If you like sausage and mushroom, then do sausage at the bottom topped with mushrooms, pizza sauce, and cheese.
- Cook any veggies before you put them in the casserole to reduce the amount of liquid in the casserole. There will be liquid in the crock pot when it is done cooking.
- If you are strict with your keto diet, make sure you watch the seasonings you use as some have added sugars.
- Look for ground pork in the fresh meat area of the grocery store where they sell pork chops and ribs.
Low Carb Crock Pot Pizza Casserole
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoon pizza seasoning
- 1 cup diced peppers onions, olives, mushrooms or other pizza toppings
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 30 pepperoni slices
- Brown ground meats with seasonings with pizza seasoning over medium heat.
- Add veggies or pizza toppings besides pepperoni for 2-3 minutes till moisture is cooked out. Stir in drained diced tomatoes.
- Pour meat into casserole crock pot. Spread out over the crock pot.
- Pour sauce over meat and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Top with pepperonis. You have two extras - enjoy sampling.
- Put the lid on and cook for two hours on high or 3-4 hours on low.
For other great crock pot recipes visit the Whatch Crockin' Party.
Be sure to also check out The Weekend Potluck for other great recipes.