As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I don’t know if it was the cold weather or all the cheese or the cold, rainy weather. Either way, this lasagna soup was a welcome sight at supper time.
Lasagna soup with ricotta cheese is a hearty soup perfect for a weeknight meal with lots of ground sausage, pasta, and cheese with a ton of flavor from the fire-roasted tomatoes and seasonings. This is one of our favorite soups all year long.
How to Make Lasagna Soup
To make this easy soup recipe, Begin with two pounds of Italian sausage. I had ground pork, so I add [amazon_textlink asin=’B06XTH454F’ text=’Italian sausage seasonings’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’farmwifedrink-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’be4d0593-2478-4228-8540-bbbea18e2f02′] to the pork to make it Italian.
Continue to saute the meat and onions for about five minutes or onions are soft and translucent. If you have a large amount of grease, drain most of it off, but do not rinse the meat. Then add tomato paste, red pepper flakes, and Italian herbs to finish off the base for the lasagna soup.
Saute for another few minutes getting tomato paste Incorporated into the meat. Then add two 14.5 ounce [amazon_textlink asin=’B004H28H2U’ text=’cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’farmwifedrink-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’ffb3f5c4-815b-43b5-a0b5-5f6ab97d2e02′].
Add 8 ounces of [amazon_textlink asin=’B075CR2G3P’ text=’Mafalda’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’farmwifedrink-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’4eb93568-d34f-42c9-bb3b-ff2a470e4f29′] or [amazon_textlink asin=’B00X8003KG’ text=’campanelle’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’farmwifedrink-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’6d31ac65-a41e-4c4d-9743-78a90cdc4598′] or another kind of pasta that will catch all the flavors of the soup.
Cook the pasta for a minute or two less than package direction to get the pasta to just al dente. Add salt and pepper to taste while the pasta is cooking as well. Dump the al dente pasta into the lasagna soup.
Ricotta Cheese Soup Topping
Mix together a cup of ricotta with a 1/2 cup of Parmesan. Add some fresh cracked pepper and mix together. Add a dollop of the cheese mixture to each bowl and then pour the soup over top. If you are cheese obsessed, sprinkle some shredded mozzarella over top.
Great Soup Recipes
- 2 pounds ground Italian pork sausage
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp. dried Italian herb mix
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 2 14.5 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 c. chicken stock
- 8 oz. mafalda or campenelle pasta
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cheesy Soup Topping
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown pork sausage till no longer pink, breaking apart while it cooks.
- Add onions and garlic then cook until softened.
- Add tomato paste, Italian herbs, and red pepper flakes. Cook for another minute or two, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.
- Add diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente. Do not overcook or let the soup simmer for a long period of time at this point, as the pasta will get mushy and absorb all the soup broth.
Cheesy Soup Topping
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, and pepper.
- To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl, ladle the hot soup over the cheese, and sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top.
With the rain drizzling down this morning, it would be a good soup for today. Link up your favorite meal from this week.
- Bacon Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms – Grilled Stuffed Mushrooms - June 28, 2020
- Easy Summer Dinner Ideas - June 22, 2020
- The Ultimate Baked Tacos – Creamy Ground Beef Baked Tacos - June 13, 2020