Crock pot smoked sausage and hashbrown casserole is a simple cheesy sausage and potato recipe that is a great weeknight meal in my beloved casserole crock pot. I literally got a text one afternoon asking for my crock pot smoked sausage and potatoes recipe. I thought I don't have one. How is this possible? So, I sent her to my crock pot ham and scalloped potatoes recipe and quickly created my own crockpot smoked sausage and hashbrown casserole.
You will want to put this on the menu at your house this week. And if you still do not have a casserole crock pot, buy one. Right now.
Crock Pot Smoked Sausage Hashbrown Casserole Ingredients
The ingredients are staples in our house. I have frozen hash browns, sour cream, onions, cream of mushroom soup, smoked sausage and shredded cheese every day of the week. Let's be honest, most days I could probably make four or five of these casseroles.
I keep the hash browns on the counter for about 30 minutes before making this casserole. It allows me to break it up more easily for the casserole. When I am ready to make the casserole, I dice the onion, slice the smoked sausage, and melt the butter and get everything mixed together. I prefer using the Progresso cream of mushroom soup since it is gluten-free and has larger chunks of mushrooms.
I actually grease the crock pot for this recipe before pouring the mixed together ingredients into the casserole crockpot. Once you have the casserole poured into the crock pot, top with additional shredded cheese on top of the casserole.
- Things you should know, I don't precook my onions. They are still a little crunchy, but we loved them this way. If you want softer owners, you may want to cook the onions and butter for a few minutes and then add them to the other ingredients.
- I am sure you can also bake this in the oven. I would say this will most likely take 45 to 60 minutes to bake. Follow the same philosophy of making sure the middle is hot.
- Can ham be used in this recipe? Don't have smoked sausage, just substitute cubed ham in the place of the smoked sausage. Your family is guaranteed to love this crock pot smoked sausage and hashbrown casserole.
- Can potatoes O'Brien be used instead of shredded hashbrowns? Yes, the small cut style hashbrowns can be used in this hashbrowns casserole recipe.
Crock Pot Smoked Sausage and Hashbrown Casserole
- 32 ounces shredded hashbrowns, partially thawed 1, 2 lb bag
- 14 ounce package of smoked sausage
- 1 onion
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1, 18 ounce can Progresso cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups shredded Colby-Jack Cheese
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Pour the shredded hashbrowns into a large bowl. Break apart so there are no clumps.
- Dice the onion and add to hashbrowns.
- Cut the two smoked sausage links in half lengthwise and then slice each half into ½ inch half moons. Add to the hashbrowns.
- Melt the butter completely and pour over the hasbrowns.
- Add 2 of the three cups of shredded cheese, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, and the salt and pepper to the hashbrowns. Stir to combine completely.
- Pour the mixture into a greased casserole crock pot. Top with the remaining cup of shredded cheese.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4 hours.
- Spicy Ranch 7-Layer Taco Dip - Single Serving Option - September 6, 2021
- Tomato Basil Sauce - Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe - September 2, 2021
- Cucumbers and Sour Cream - How to Make Cucumber and Sour Cream Salad - July 25, 2021