Crock pot smoked sausage and hashbrown casserole is a simple cheesy sausage and potato recipe that is a great weeknight meal in my beloved casserole crock pot. I literally got a text one afternoon asking for my crock pot smoked sausage and potatoes recipe. I thought I don't have one. How is this possible? So, I sent her to my crock pot ham and scalloped potatoes recipe and quickly created my own crockpot smoked sausage and hashbrown casserole.
You will want to put this on the menu at your house this week. And if you still do not have a casserole crock pot, buy one. Right now.
Crock Pot Smoked Sausage Hashbrown Casserole Ingredients
The ingredients are staples in our house. I have these ingredients on hand any day of the week. A lot of these ingredients for hash brown casserole are also staples in other casserole recipes.
- frozen hash browns
- sour cream
- cream of mushroom soup
- smoked sausage
- shredded cheese
How to make crockpot smoked sausage and hashbrown casserole
I keep the hash browns on the counter for about 30 minutes before making this casserole. It allows me to break it up more easily for the casserole. When I am ready to make the casserole, I dice the onion, slice the smoked sausage, and melt the butter and get everything mixed together. I prefer using the Progresso cream of mushroom soup since it is gluten-free and has larger chunks of mushrooms.
I actually grease the crock pot for this recipe before pouring the mixed together ingredients into the casserole crockpot. Once you have the casserole poured into the crock pot, top it with additional shredded cheese on top of the casserole.
Cook the casserole on low for 4 hours or high for 2-3 hours. The casserole will be bubbly around the edges. You will want to check the middle of the casserole to make sure it is also piping hot too.
Helpful Hint: I don't precook my onions. They are still a little crunchy, but we loved them this way. If you want softer owners, you may want to cook the onions and butter for a few minutes and then add them to the other ingredients.
Substitutions for Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole with smoked sausage
Whether you are looking for lower-fat, gluten-free, or vegetarian substitutions, we have ideas for you.
- Vegetarian - Omit the smoked sausage for a traditional hash brown casserole similar to the funeral potatoes recipe.
- Low-Fat - While this recipe is full of flavor with all the full fat ingredients, you can make it lower fat with low-fat sour cream or greek yogurt, cut the butter in half, and use low-fat cream of mushroom soup.
- Gluten-Free - The progresso cream of mushroom soup is gluten free. That with the rest of the ingredients, this is a gluten free casserole recipe.
Variations to Crock Pot Smoked Sausage and Hashbrown Casserole
Making this recipe can be changed up in lots of different ways. Here are some examples.
- Ham - Can ham be used in this recipe? Don't have smoked sausage, just substitute cubed ham in the place of the smoked sausage. If you add ham you may want also swap the colby-jack cheese for Swiss cheese. Your family is guaranteed to love this crock pot smoked sausage and hashbrown casserole.
- Corn Flake Topping - Go ahead and turn these into funeral potatoes by melting butter and coating corn flakes and some parmesan cheese in the butter and top off the hash brown casserole.
- Breakfast Sausage - This can become an eggless breakfast casserole with the use ground breakfast sauce in place of the smoked sausage too.
Yes! This recipe can be baked, covered in a 13x9 pan for 45-60 minutes on 350 degrees.
Yes, the small cut style hashbrowns can be used in this hashbrowns casserole recipe.
Casserole Crock Pot Recipes
The casserole crock pot is one of my favorite crock pots because it doesn't take 8 hours to cook a meal. Here are a few of my favorite casseroles and recipes to make in the crock pot, including crock pot breakfast casseroles.
Crock Pot Smoked Sausage and Hashbrown Casserole
- 32 ounces shredded hashbrowns, partially thawed 1, 2 lb bag
- 14 ounce package of smoked sausage
- 1 onion
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1, 18 ounce can Progresso cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups shredded Colby-Jack Cheese
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Pour the shredded hashbrowns into a large bowl. Break apart so there are no clumps.
- Dice the onion and add to hashbrowns.
- Cut the two smoked sausage links in half lengthwise and then slice each half into ½ inch half moons. Add to the hashbrowns.
- Melt the butter completely and pour over the hasbrowns.
- Add 2 of the three cups of shredded cheese, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, and the salt and pepper to the hashbrowns. Stir to combine completely.
- Pour the mixture into a greased casserole crock pot. Top with the remaining cup of shredded cheese.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4 hours.
Affiliate links were used in this post.
- Old Fashioned Strawberry Tapioca Salad - Pink Fluff - March 5, 2023
- Arroz Con Carne Molida Recipe - Mexican Rice with Ground Beef Skillet - February 27, 2023
- Baked Tortellini with Meat Sauce - February 19, 2023
New family favorite!
I liked it well enough but next time will try baking it in the oven so it won't be so mushy. I had measured out exactly as you said except 2 oz. more of the mushroom soup. I had two cans of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom. Never have Progresso on hand and didn't want to waste the excess.