As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
My family would eat hamburger helper every single night of the week. Ground beef is our favorite protein for meals in a hurry. However, when feeding a teenage boy who is incredibly active we need a lot of food just for him. Hearty casseroles are a must, and this French onion ground beef stroganoff casserole is going to be a new regular meal at our house.
French onion ground beef stroganoff casserole is an easy and hearty casserole filled with hamburger, onions, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, noodles, and crispy fried onions great for a busy weeknight dinner.
French Onion Beef Stroganoff Casserole Ingredients
The ingredients for a beef stroganoff casserole are very similar to the ingredients in this beef stroganoff casserole. Since we have freezer beef, ground beef is always on hand to make a quick pasta casserole.
- Ground Beef. The ground beef I used in this recipe was a 90/10 ground beef. If you use an 80/20 ground beef, you may want to drain the fat off the ground beef before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
- Wide Egg Noodles. A bag of wide egg noodles is always in the pantry at my house. If you don’t have egg noodles, macaroni, penne, or even bow-tie pasta could work.
- Onion. One large sweet onion, diced.
- Sour Cream. For this recipe, I used regular sour cream, but low-fat might work just fine.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup. The good, old standard in casserole cooking is cream of mushroom soup.
- Onion Soup Mix. One package of onion soup mix adds more flavor than all the seasonings in the cabinet.
How to Make Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole
To make this ground beef stroganoff casserole, start by browning the two pounds of ground beef. When the ground beef is almost fully cooked, add diced onions and the onion seasoning packet. Then cook until the ground beef is fully cooked.
Stir the beef and onion mixture into the creamy noodles. Stir to just combined before transferring into a lasagna pan or 13X9 baking dish.
Serve the French onion ground beef stroganoff casserole with green beans, broccoli, or an easy caesar salad. Enjoy the leftovers too. This casserole reheats well.
- Don’t overcook the pasta. your pasta should be slightly undercooked.
- If you use ground beef with more than 10% fat like an 80/20 ground beef, you will want to drain the beef.
- Cover the top of the noodle casserole with fried onions to keep the pasta from drying out.
- Gluten-free versions could be made as well. Just use gluten-free noodles, make your own gluten-free mushroom soup, and gluten-free crispy fried onions.
French Onion Ground Beef Stroganoff Casserole
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 16 ounces wide egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 package onion seasoning mix
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups crispy fried onions
- Brown the ground beef over medium heat with the Worcestershire sauce. When almost completely cooked, add the diced onions and onion seasoning mix. Stir and cook until beef is completely browned.
- While the beef is browning, cook the wide egg noodles for two minutes less than the package instructions. Drain and then add the soup, sour cream, and milk to the noodles.
- Stir the beef and onion mixture to the noodles. Mix to combine and then transfer to a greased lasagna pan or 13X9 baking dish. Top with crispy fried onions.
- Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes