As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Smoked queso is your favorite queso dip made with Velveeta, Rotel, onions, taco meat, and peppers made in a cast-iron skillet on your smoker or grill. This dip was so good. Rich with smokey flavors yet full of the cheesy goodness that every good crock pot sausage queso has.
After years of making crock pot sausage queso, I have now found my favorite way to make queso. The grill is now my favorite way to make queso. You know you want to try this grilled queso recipe now.
Cast Iron Queso Ingredients
- Taco Meat – Ground beef or pork mixed with taco seasoning
- Peppers – Jalapeno and Poblano peppers
Chop all the ingredients up and have them ready. I used leftover taco meat which gave the rich taco flavor to the queso.
How to Make Queso Dip on the Grill
This queso is so simple to make. I put the cubed Velveeta cheese, leftover taco meat, Rotel, diced onions, sliced jalapeno peppers, and diced poblano peppers in the cast iron skillet. Then place the skillet on your Big Green Egg. If you have a gas grill, this recipe should work just fine as well.
After the skillet has been on the grill for a few minutes, stir to combine the ingredients. Then keep cooking the queso over indirect heat at 300 to 350°, stirring to make sure the cheese melts throughout the pan. In about 15 minutes the queso will be done and ready to enjoy.
Serve the queso with your favorite tortilla chips. The scoop chips work perfectly to snag all of the bits of peppers, onions, and ground beef taco meat. You will want to make sure you have two bags on hand because you might be making a second batch of this smoked queso dip.
Smoked Queso Dip
- 1 pound cooked ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 16 ounces velveeta
- 1 can Rotel
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 2 jalapeno or poblano peppers
- Make the queso by putting the ingredients for the queso into a cast iron skillet.
- Place the skillet on the Big Green Egg, smoker, or grill at a temperature of 300-350° with ingredients inside. Make sure the skillet is in an indirect heat area. Let cook for five minutes before stirring. Then continue to cook for 15 minutes, stirring every five minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips.